How to change a bulb in streetlight

Old 05-05-21, 01:07 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to change a bulb in streetlight

I bought a bank-owned property that has a full size street light (for lighting an arena). The previous owners were upset about losing their house and vented their anger by playing target practice with the street light. Any ideas on how to change the bulb? If I rent a cherry-picker, I'd have to pay twice: once to figure out what bulb to order, and again to install the bulb once it arrives. Is there a way to determine what bulb to buy from the ground? Are there limited standard sizes for street light bulbs?

Old 05-05-21, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
Our local POCO maintains the street lights they rent to customers - have you contacted them? or is was this light privately installed?

Old 05-05-21, 04:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
First you need to determine who owns the light. If it's yours you will need to get up there and change the bulb. If it's owned by the power company (you probably see a line item for it on your bill) then it is their responsibility to replace the bulb since you are paying them for the service of providing light.

Old 05-05-21, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Post a picture of the light and the top of the pole it's mounted on.
How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 05-05-21, 10:15 AM
A
Received 137 Votes on 126 Posts
Is there a colored label with a number on the undeside of the light?

Most streetlights require specific bulbs for example 250 watt mercury in which case the wrong bulb will burn out quickly or will burn out the mechanism i.e. ballast.

The label will tell what kind of bulb is needed (25 on blue background for the preceding example).. Otherwise you have to arrange to inspect the fixture close up.

If the glass cover is broken and was not a flat clear panel then you are better off replacing the whole thing.

Old 05-05-21, 11:53 AM
K
Ok, got as close as I could from an 8' ladder with a telephoto lens and this is what the inside looks like. The pole is 30' high. I called it a "street light," because it is the same style of pole. We live in the country on a larger property, and a previous owner installed it far from the house to light up a horse arena. We are not near any neighbors that the light might bother. Also, it is no relation to the power company. We would only plan to have it on when we are working in that area of the property. I believe it is on a switch, because we have only one switch left that we haven't identified.

Yes, I was thinking that if the previous residents shot at the bulb, they may have done damage to the light (we've repaired a LOT of things with pellet holes). Looking at the picture, I don't even know what I am looking at. Seems like maybe the previous owner got the pole erected with wiring, but never installed a light?

Old 05-05-21, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
If that had a light in it..... it's gone now. Has ballast but no bulb socket.
Best to replace the fixture.

That was probably a 175 watt metal halide fixture. Gas discharge lamps are becoming rare.
Depot offers a replacement LED fixture that looks like it will bolt right on.
Area flood light

Old 05-05-21, 01:47 PM
K
PJmax, thank you for the link. That is helpful. I opened the J-box at ground level on the pole and was able to track down power to the small breaker box at our well. So, no switch on this pole. I would not want this light on every night, so I guess having a light installed would mean keeping the breaker off except on the few nights I want to use the light.

I called around about lift rentals. $500 is just too high. I need to get creative about access to a lift.

Old 05-05-21, 03:22 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
If that had a light in it..... it's gone now. Has ballast but no bulb socket.
Best to replace the fixture.

That was probably a 175 watt metal halide fixture. Gas discharge lamps are becoming rare.
Depot offers a replacement LED fixture that looks like it will bolt right on.
I think you mean 175 Watt Mercury Vapor
I know real lighting is getting harder to find thanks to this LED CRAP!

Old 05-07-21, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
I know real lighting is getting harder to find thanks to this LED CRAP!
LED pole heads blow MV, HPS, and MH out of the water as far as brightness and energy savings.

OP: Look into lifts, not bucket trucks (AKA Cherry pickers). Many rental places have trailer lifts for rent that will run about $125 for three hours. Even some Home Depot's rent them. You could also rent some scaffolding.

Andrew voted this post useful.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-07-21 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 02:35 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
LED is the way to go for sure. One fixture I've had good luck with is the RAB Yardblaster. These are made in the USA. They also look like a direct fit for your existing bracket.
https://www.rablighting.com/feature/...awn-yard-light
Andy

Old 05-11-21, 01:59 PM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
Many sign companies also set light poles and work on privately owned pole lights such as those found in large parking lots. They have all the equipment and can change that light for you in a matter of minutes.

Old 05-11-21, 03:38 PM
LED pole heads blow MV, HPS, and MH out of the water as far as brightness and energy savings.
That they may but the one part that they don't is reliability and serviceability! LEDS use proprietary parts that become No Longer Available "NLA" after less then a year!
You can easily change the lamp capacitor igniter or the whole ballast if needed not with the LED garbage that passes off as lighting these days.

Old 05-11-21, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
No Longer Available "NLA" after less then a year!
Not true. Good manufactures will stand behind their products. The warranty on most good LED fixtures is 5 years. More than enough for the fixture to pay for itself in energy savings alone.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-11-21, 07:10 PM
Not true. Good manufactures will stand behind their products. The warranty on most good LED fixtures is 5 years. More than enough for the fixture to pay for itself in energy savings alone.
I never messed with the better stuff but it is still a PITA to change parts not as simple as just screwing in a lamp though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: