Ceiling fan

Old 05-05-21, 04:59 AM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ceiling fan

Okay, this might sound like a dumb question but here goes anyway. My daughter lives in a house built in 1916 so obviously it's plaster walls and ceilings. She asked me if I could install a ceiling fan in her first floor living room. Above the first floor living room are hardwood floors on the second floor. I really don't want to get into cutting the ceiling or the upstairs floor to run electric to the fan. My question is: is there a wireless fan on the market where I wouldn't have to run electric to the fan? I originally said no to putting in a ceiling fan but now I am perhaps having second thoughts. She has a son who is 5, a daughter who is 4, and another daughter who is 3 months, and perhaps it would make life a bit more comfortable for them. She also has a lazy ass husband but that's a whole other story! Thank you for any suggestions you have.

Rich

Old 05-05-21, 05:15 AM
Received 377 Votes on 342 Posts
You could run surface mount electrical wiring along the the wall.
There are battery operated ceiling fans. But you still need to mount the fan to the ceiling. Then you or her have the problem of changing batteries often. Keep in mind that you must provide power of some sort to the fan and the only source I know of is 120 v AC or battery.

Old 05-05-21, 05:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 88 Posts
Simple solution would be to mount the wiring, as Norm mentioned. No two ways about it, you're going to see it but I would be fine with that over the effort of repairing floor or ceiling instead.

You didn't ask but make sure you have a fan rated box in the ceiling to hang it from as well.

Old 05-05-21, 06:37 AM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thank you for your answers. I have done ceiling fans many times before and even into plaster ceilings but I am not too keen on doing it again. I guess I'm a lot wiser at 74 years of age and I don't want to make a huge mess. I have also run Wiremold but I didn't want to do that either although that looks like the best option. And the suggestion about an approved box is a good one especially with all those little kids there. I was hoping that there was a wireless on the market where I didn't have to run power to it but it looks like that was a pipe dream or wishful thinking. Thanks for your replies and have a great day.

Rich

Old 05-05-21, 06:48 AM
Received 119 Votes on 103 Posts
Probably not the best idea for a home with small children but you could make the mounting/wiring a design element. A suitable hook mounted into a joist (small hole, no cutting or patching plaster), surface mounted canopy for wiring connection, and swag chain with wiring to a nearby outlet. Getting power at a wall mounted light fixture (likely in a 1916 house) would be better than from a receptacle near the floor that kids can mess with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: