Electrical Issues

Old 05-05-21, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical Issues

Hello guys,
I'm having major issues and need some info PLEASE, I recently moved into a trailer house that needed fixing, But I didn't think it would come to all these issues…
Ok here it goes, I was replacing bad receptacles and fixing someone's screw-ups, See the person that lived here before me thought he knew what he was doing and cut a lot of electrical wiring and removed two walls of plug ends and cut wires to a light and rewired it and added a light but when he rewired the lights he wired them outside the box and wall, so I removed the light he put in and hooked up the light from the wire he cut and bypassed, Ok no biggie there, so I moved on and replaced 5 plug ends and wired them back the way they should be, and also fixed my porch light and replaced the burnt wire and receptacle that was there and now my whole trailer is hot, the outside tin and skirting its pulling 40 volts and i cant find the problem and before that i ran new receptacles and wire to a wall he totally removed and ran from a new breaker box outside the one in the trailer., I tried to run it from the original way it was but had low voltage and when i turned on the dinning room light both the white and black wire where hot, so I did away with the receptacles and removed the dining room light to find more issues there so needless to say I have a hot trailer and two walls with no receptacles do to I don't want to do anything until I find out where and why the trailer is hot. So can someone please help me out here so I can get back on the right track?? oh,

and the switch I circled is pulling 170volts

receptical next to the switch

switch is pulling 170 volts

Old 05-05-21, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Instead of using "pulling" use measuring instead.

now my whole trailer is hot, the outside tin and skirting its pulling 40 volts
40 volts to what..... ground ?
That would mean your trailer is missing it's ground.
That may mean your service panel is also missing ground.

A non contact pen is used to determine you have dangerous voltage in the area. When you have multiple cables in a box you need to use a meter to measure between each cable's white and black to determine which one is live.

Old 05-05-21, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
First, put down the non-contact tester. They are notoriously unreliable. Much better would be a multi meter or AC voltage tester. The old fashioned analog type with a needle are inexpensive, reliable and not suseptible to phantom voltages like digital meters. With the proper tool I think you will find debugging your problem a bit easier.

guarddog73 voted this post useful.
Old 05-05-21, 10:25 AM
I used a multi-meter. The trailer is grounded this issue started after I started correcting the electrical wires, back to the way they should be with only the one white, black and ground instead of 4 wires running to the plug ends and off to the next. the plug ends had two wires on each side some had three wires on each side. The pictures are the way I have done them all. the person that lived here before me cut wires and removed plug ends. My living room has no receptacles so I'm guessing there's a wire that's touching the tin but i have no clue on how to find it without taking the trailer walls apart the person before me removed them all don't know why

Old 05-06-21, 04:40 AM
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
Hi, what’s a plug end? How many circuits are in the trailer? Start by identifying the circuit then you will need to go cable by cable to see which one is causing the issue, you may be better off using the Ohmmeter setting on the meter to test for continuity to ground, I would also double check the ground if it is correct a breaker should trip.
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 05-06-21, 05:11 AM
I found the issue of my home being hot on the outside. now im going to start to rewire the living room off of another breaker box. so i wont run into this issue again, Every time i turn around im running into problems after problems but once you open the box of worms you have to fix what you can. i want to thank you guys for your input on this issue youve all been a great help.
But since i cant get an electrician out here to help me out i have to do what they should be doing. so ill be living rent free until i feel its right so good luck in all your projects im off to start mine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: