Beeping noises

Old 05-05-21, 10:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beeping noises

Hi guys,

I'm a tenant, not a home owner. I just have a question.

There is a beeping noise coming from my basement suite which I just moved into. It is 3 short beeps at random times of the day, maybe 4 times a day or so. I thought this might be the smoke alarm dying but I can't see any. All I have are these round disc things in the ceiling which seems to me is a sprinkler system. Is there a smoke alarm built into it? I can't seem to find out where it's coming from. A couple times I've heard it distantly which I think may be in the suite next to me.

The other thing is a rectangular box that seems to be for the door bell that I don't use.

Smoke alarms are mandatory where I live.

Just wanted to ask you first as I don't want to deal with the landlord unless I have to.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-21, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Those round things in the ceiling do sound like sprinkler heads.
There won't be anything electronic connected to them.

Many things can beep..... CO alarm, smoke detector, water detector sensor, etc.
You said you have smoke detectors. Does the LED light up green ?
If yes.... that would be an interconnected smoke alarm system with each smoke detector having its own 9v battery.

If you come across mystery boxes.... post a picture of them..... how-to-insert-pictures.

Old 05-05-21, 02:31 PM
M
Thank you PJmax,

I've attached what seem like sprinklers (one in the bathroom and living room) and the door bell box. Those are the only gadget type things I see in my suite.

I just heard it again and stood on a chair by the bathroom which is near the doorbell box and it doesn't seem it's coming from there neither the sprinkler in the bathroom (I know you said it's probably not from there though). It's really baffling where it's coming from. Before entry into the bathroom is the fridge and behind the fridge is a door that leads to the front foyer of my landlord's place so I wondered if it was coming from there but I'm sure they would have heard it by now. And as I said I've heard it beep in the distance a few times before so I thought maybe it was coming from the suite beside me so it's seems it's a downstairs issue. I don't see any other type of gadget on the ceiling or wall and I just have a basic stove and fridge.

I don't seem to have smoke detectors which is hard to believe as their mandatory here (I live in British Columbia). That's why I wondered if they were somehow wired into the sprinkler system. (I haven't a clue!). There must be a fire alarm somewhere? I've got no closet it could be in which I know is ridiculous to say as it shouldn't be in there.

I have quite high kitchen cabinets I could check to see if there's something on the wall just above the cabinet but it's pretty hard to get to/see and I doubt that would be a area where something would be put. That is the only area I can think of where something could be that I can't see as there's nothing else in plain sight.

Seems I'll have to ask the landlord unless you have any more ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-05-21, 03:54 PM
M
Well I just stepped on the chair and listened at the door behind the fridge and it's possible it's coming from my landlord's side. I don't know how this can be missed by them. But if I'm hearing the noise in the distance once in a while also that could still mean it's coming from the suite beside me as they're all connected right? I don't seem to have one in my suite. Is that legal in most areas? I thought you had to have a smoke detector in each one? But maybe cause this is attached to their side one smoke alarm on their side is enough?

Thanks.

Old 05-05-21, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
You're in a basement suite.
Do you have at least two entrances/exits from your suite ?

Not sure what your codes are there but here there needs to be at least two entrances/exits from a basement suite and many locals call for a window in the bedroom that can be pushed out in case of a fire.

An officially rented site will require an inspection and cert of occupancy every time the renter is changed.
The bare minimum is a few smoke detectors. Hall, bedroom, etc.
Now a CO detector near sleeping areas is required.

Old 05-05-21, 10:09 PM
M
Yes, I"m in a basement suite. It's a bachelor.

After my posts to you are started thinking that this is not good if there's a fire. I just have one exit with a large window near by. There's a door to the suite beside me but of course it's locked and a door behind the fridge to the owners living space. (I didn't see this when I first looked at the place). Other than that there's 2 med size windows on the side but they're higher up so I'd have to climb to get out and they have screens on them that I don't know how to remove. I'll have to look.

Since there's 2 suites in the basement one of us is living in an illegal suite I guess.You're only allowed one and it can have internal access to the house but being there's 2 suites I'm guessing mine is the illegal one. Everyone here has 2 suites and then rent both out. Easy to do when there's a housing crisis like there is here.

I've never heard of places having an inspection each time a renter leaves.

I hope to not be here more than a year or so but for now I'm stuck here. But yeah I don't feel very comfortable in case of fire. This house was built in 2013. You'd think they're would be a smoke alarm. I'm going to talk to to the landlord.

I found this: It's a city in my Province not to far from me. The codes would be the same where I am. It only mentions one exit door.

Safe Exiting - The secondary suite must have an exit door, ideally directly from the suite to the exterior. This door must be an exterior door, with a deadbolt and door viewer (or glazing), that swings on a vertical axis (not a sliding patio door). In situations where the suite egress door opens into a common entrance, each unit must be served by a second and separate means of egress. A suite above the main floor may require a fire escape."
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ho...es_handout.pdf

I have lived in a worse suite where the exit door was in the middle of the basement and not directly outside but I had 2 huge windows at garden level that pushed out so I felt safe.

Thanks for you help.

Old 05-05-21, 10:48 PM
Group Moderator
If you don't have smoke detectors..... get them yourself.

Yes.... one exit door IF it opens to outside. Yours does not.
Thankfully you have push out windows.

You need to think like there's a fire and how would you get out.

Old 05-06-21, 06:10 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Is there a garage door opener nearby? If so, the beeping could be due to the door opener back up battery is dead.

Old 05-07-21, 08:21 AM
T
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
A UPS for a computer? If phone service over fiber optics (Verizon FIOS for example) is available in your area, it could be a bad backup battery in the fiber modem.

Old 05-07-21, 09:19 AM
M
PJmax I do have one exit door that opens outside but my windows are up high so I would have to climb if I needed to get out (and I am a tall person!). In my last post at the end I was referring to my previous place where I said I didn't have a door that opened to the outside but I had 2 large garden level windows that pushed out so I felt safe. When I looked at the place I was so happy to find something that I could afford (I'm on disability and there's a housing crisis here) that I didn't even think about how not having an exit door directly to outside was a hazard.

My place is approximately 324 square feet so very small. The smoke alarm seems to be right outside the door behind the fridge. Technically I know I should have one but it is pretty close. I will see about getting one though.

Wirepuller38 There is no garage near me. I'm thinking it may be a smoke alarm nearby.

ThisOldMan A UPS is in the tower of a desktop PC? If so I don't have one as I use a laptop.

Old 05-07-21, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Exit to outside door.
That's a good thing. You could mention the beeping to your landlord in a passing conversation.
You could ask if it was some type of warning that you should be looking in to.

Old 05-07-21, 06:10 PM
M
I will definitely be doing that. Thanks!

Old 05-10-21, 06:05 PM
Verizon ( where in comes in the house) low battery alarm, beeps several times a day. I reset it and I'm good for a few weeks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: