Wiring for room

Old 06-22-01, 09:36 AM
Visiting Guest
We are taking an former bedroom in the basement w/only 2 receptacles and two 4-tube flourecent lights and converting to an office and adding 4-6 recessed lights, an electric baseboard heater preferably with a thermostat. Since the wall will be exposed, we want to have tv cable, and sound wire.

My biggest concern is the electrical wiring. I want the heater to have its own circuit. ??What gauge wire?

How many circuits should I run to add:

recessed lighting (what gauge wire?)

(room is 15.5 X 18)

a brief sketch shows an additional 10 more receptacles.

In the room will be computers/printers etc.

a tv and small sound system.

Any help on the size wire and number of new circuits would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 02:29 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
12 for all, 14 ok for lights if they will be on their own circuit. I'd do two outlet circuits, one lighting (or
somehow run the lights off of the circuit that doesn't
power the computer), and of course the heater circuit.

Old 06-25-01, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Gary Tait
12 for all, 14 ok for lights if they will be on their own circuit. I'd do two outlet circuits, one lighting (or
somehow run the lights off of the circuit that doesn't
power the computer), and of course the heater circuit.
So far........I am going from unfinished basement (open ceiling) over a partial finish with fixed ceiling tiles(wood)42 yr old house to room to be remodeled.

I was able to push a 2" grey conduit along the heating return pipe.

I guess now I run the 12-2 w/g wire 2 runs from service panel to 2 separate junction boxes for the wall recepacle (3 receptacle per circuit) and run 14-2 w/g for recessed lights to another junction box?????

Do I send one 14-2 to each of 4 recessed lights in a series or how do I get power to the 4 lights from that circuit?

Can I run speaker wire in same conduit or will there be a chance for interference? I can probably get a 1 to 1.5 inch conduit through if I am lucky.

Thanks......

Old 06-25-01, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You didn't mention any switches. Will the lights be controlled by switches? One switch for all four lights? One switch for each light? It's probably best to run the power to the switch first, then to the lights.

Don't run speaker wire in the same conduit. There will be interference. You don't want it in a parallel conduit either. You'll want the speaker wire at least a foot away.

Old 06-26-01, 05:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by John Nelson
You didn't mention any switches. Will the lights be controlled by switches? One switch for all four lights? One switch for each light? It's probably best to run the power to the switch first, then to the lights.

Don't run speaker wire in the same conduit. There will be interference. You don't want it in a parallel conduit either. You'll want the speaker wire at least a foot away.
Thanks!!!

One dimmer switch for the four lights. 14-2 wire from service panel to switch. Are lights then wired in series?

Old 06-26-01, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Run 14/2 from the power source to your dimmer switch. Then run 14/2 from switch to light#1, light#1 to light#2, light#2 to light#3, and light#3 to light#4.

At the switch, connect the two white wires to each other with a wire nut. Connect the two black wires to the two wires from your dimmer.

At each light, connect wires by color.

Of course, connect all bare grounding wires to each other and to the grounding wire from the switch and lights.

P.S. You may want to think of this as "series" wiring, but it's not. It's still "parallel" wiring. With the exception of switches, nothing in your house is wired in series!

Old 06-26-01, 08:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank YOU!