inside wall wiring

Old 06-22-01, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to run a data cable from the basement to a bedroom upstairs. I can see the floor of the bedroom from the basement but don't know how to get the wire into the wall so I can install a jack. This is probably very simple but I don't know where to start

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 02:27 PM
Visiting Guest
By "bedroom upstairs" do you mean a 2nd floor bedroom or a bedroom over the basement? Are the walls sheetrock or lath and plaster? (helps to know the age of the house)

Old 06-22-01, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming you have an open ceiling basement (unfinished). If the bedroom you are going to run the wire into has carpet. Take a nail and drive down through the floor, right next to the wall and in place where you want the box at. Now go down stairs and find the nail sticking through the floor. Measure over 1 5/8" and drill a hole up into the wall, will have to drill about 3 1/2" to get all the way through. Feed some wire up into the hole.
Go upstairs and locate spot for the box. Cut a hole in the drywall, the size of the box. Prior to installing the box fish the cable out. Feed the cable through the box, install the box, connect everything up. Remember to remove nail from carpet!
If the upstairs room does not have carpet and there is no where to put a nail or drill down into the basement....measure, measure and measure again.

Old 06-23-01, 06:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Try this---snip a straight piece of wire from a wire coat-hanger and chuck it into a drill. Keeping the wire as plumb as possible drill thru the floor next to the baseboard.(with "finesse").Leave the wire in the hole to measure from. If the wall is sheetrock and you need a flush telephone jack use a "clip-in" back plate. You cut a hole and holding the plate firmly against the wall bend the clips which secures the plate to the wall. The jack screws into the back-plate.

Old 06-23-01, 06:54 PM
Visiting Guest
If you don't get through in 3 1/2" you might be drilling up into a wall stud -- move your hole over. Also, beware that your basement wall and upstairs' wall might be offset if you have concrete foundation walls for your basement. When dealing with basements things don't always line up like we think.