Lighting Wiring?

Old 06-22-01, 02:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently attempted to wire in a new light fitting, when i removed the old one there were three 3 core cables coming from the roof(each one had L N E wires).When i tested the wires with the power on only one was live.
I removed the old light fitting, pushed the two redundant wires into the ceiling out of the way and taped them up, then fitted the new light fitting to the remaining cable.
Turned on the power, and fitted the bulbs.
When fitting the first bulb the light came on,so i went to turn the power off at the switch only to realise it was allready off.When i tested the switch with a multimeter there was no power to the switch in any of the two positions?
(BUT THE LIGHT REMAINED ON ALL THE TIME)
any replies would be greatfully accepted!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-01, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry

Can you say...Opps....????

The two wires you pushed up into the attic were feeder wires, one to the switch and the other some where unknown at this time (another light, outlet, fan...).
You will have to push those wires back down from the attic, so you can reconnect them. Mark your hot set so as not to confuse yourself. Figure out which set goes to the switch, use an ohm meter if you have one. Then connect them up as follows:
Hot white to set 3 white and light white.
Hot Black to set 3 black and switch white.
Light black to switch black.

*****This is assuming you checked the wiring coming from the switch with it in the on position and there was no power on the wires. If you feed the wires back down and turn the switch on and there is power to one set, use it for your light and connect the other two sets black to black and white to white.