110V electrical hookups for mini split - code

Old 08-25-21, 11:37 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
110V electrical hookups for mini split - code

Got an attached 2 car garage I want to put one of these in. Finished insulating it, and it has been close to 100 outside every day for several days (Texas). The garage gets up to about 85-86 at the hottest. One of these little 1 ton / 110v units should do the trick to remove some humidity and get it to 78 to preserve my stuff.

However- the wiring for 110v units is odd.... The indoor unit plugs into a standard wall plug, while indoor unit feeds power & controls to the outdoor unit. This seems backwards, but it is what it is.

In order to meet code, will I need to modify this wiring for a disconnect box on the outside? Or will the wall plug for the indoor unit be considered the disconnect?

Thanks.

Old 08-25-21, 01:59 PM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Install as per manufacturer instructions. Do the install instructions call for an outside disconnect?

Old 08-26-21, 08:24 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So this is one of the cheapest eBay mini splits... and it has the standard Chinglish style manual.

Dug into it-- says if it's not connected by a plug, it needs a disconnection device and an RCD. I had to look up RCDs... seen those in Australia but not in the US. But no matter, I don't intend to cut off the plug. It will be on its own dedicated circuit. So it sounds like I'm covered.

But no disconnect on the outside-- still doesn't seem right to me.

Old 08-27-21, 01:37 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
But no disconnect on the outside-- still doesn't seem right to me.
It's likely not UL Listed.

Old 08-27-21, 02:21 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
That is how it is normally installed in Asia. Usually there is not even a dedicated circuit for AC.
Condenser is often installed under or next to the window in apartment. So, it is hard to access. This probably is reason why the unit is not powered from outside.

However, I see all hardwired ductless units sold in the US are powered from condenser.
So, I wonder if there is an exception for not requiring service disconnect if the unit is corded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: