Wiring a hot tub

Old 08-28-21, 04:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a hot tub

Need to follow the 2020 NEC
The Hot Tub manual says it need a 50 AMP double pole breaker. I have a 200 AMP main panel with plenty of room

So I ran a 6/3 with ground copper romex from the Breaker panel to the disconnect for the Hot tub.Stll not hooked up.

The Disconnect is 50 AMP with Breaker GFCI. I plan on putting the disconnect 7 feet away and you can see it from the hot tub.

Question can I run the wire from the disconnect to the Hot Tub in the wall then down across then come back out to the hot tub with the Romex in Liquid tight 1 inch? Instead of running the liquid tight exposed on the exterior wall.

Also does the ground need to be insulated where it exits disconnect and runs to the hot tub. Thanks in advance

Old 08-28-21, 07:22 PM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Romex is not to be used outside, even in conduit. It's not rated for wet areas. You need to use UF-b or individual THHN/THWN wires.
Actually the UF may not work because I believe the ground does need to be insulated to the tub.

Old 08-29-21, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Question can I run the wire from the disconnect to the Hot Tub in the wall then down across then come back out to the hot tub with the Romex in Liquid-tight 1 inch? Instead of running the liquid-tight exposed on the exterior wall.
Yes. However, as Pattenp posted, you cannot Romex as it is not rated for wet locations or UF because it does not have an insulated ground. You will need to use individual THHN/THWN wires.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: