Wiring a light fixture

Old 06-26-01, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I recently took down a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms.We have three bedrooms,all lighting is connected to the same circuit in all three rooms.When I went to put the light fixture up,I noticed three sets of wires-one for the light switch and two others. The light fixture has 2 lights in it meaning there are two sets of white and black wires. When I wired it the way I thought it should be the circuit breaker kicks off.No matter what combination I try,The circuit breaker kicks off. The lights in the first bedroom still work.The lights in the second and third bedrooms will not work .WHen I wired the second room, I noticed that for a short time the light switch in the third room controlled the light in the second room. How do the wires connect so that I fix the problem?Any help that anyone ould be would be appreciated.Thanks, Frank M.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-01, 06:20 PM
raca
Visiting Guest
Im guessing you tied all the blacks together and all the whites together which is what people usually do but this will cause a short circuit. You must find the switch cable and tie the white wire from the switch cable to the hot wire at the light box then the black wire from the switch cable gets tied to those two black fixture wires all other whites get tied together.Hope this helps good luck

Old 07-02-01, 07:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for your reply. That is what I ended up doing and it is now fixed.I really appreciate your time in replying.Thanks again.