Changing a 240 volt receptacle

Old 06-26-01, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an old 220 volt air conditioner. There is a dedicated 30 amp double breaker used to run this unit. The
wall receptacle is rated 30 amps 240 volts. BX cable used to wire the recptacle to the breaker. I just bought a new 220 volt air conditoner with a 220 volt 20 amp plug.
I would like to use the existing 220 volt electrical service. I need to replace the exiting 240 volt 30 amp receptacle with a new 220 volt 20 amp receptacle. When I pulled out the existing receptacle there are three wires. Black, red and white. The new 220 volt 20 amp receptacle I bought has two pole and a green ground screw. I know black got to brass and the red wire should go to the silver screw. Where do I put the white wire? Can I use the 220 volt 20 amp receptacle on the existing service? Do I need to step down the breaker ? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-01, 07:35 PM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
You do in fact need to install a 20 amp breaker. If you truly have bx (what is now called AC or MC cable), then you have a ground to the box already. You will need to install a grounding screw (green screw) in the back of the box, and use a short piece of #10 bare or green wire to connect to your outlet's green screw. You can then cap off the white wire with a wire nut. You could use the white wire for this purpose, but you should phase it with green tape first (at both ends i.e. the panel side too). You would also need to ensure the wire was installed to the grounding bus if the circuit is fed from a sub panel.

Enjoy your day!

Old 06-26-01, 07:52 PM
raca
Visiting Guest
You better check that receptacle i didnt think they put silver screws on 250v receptacles make sure it is 250v