generator power inlet box

Old 10-17-21, 11:36 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
generator power inlet box

I hooked up a power inlet box to my GE electrical panel . I installed a interlock kit for my new 30 amp breaker and 200 amp breaker. The problem was that when I hooked up generator to the panel, generator shuts off. I have used 2 new 30 amp breakers , 2 different power cords, 2different generators, 2 new power inlet box with the same results. I've also connected the power cord directly to panel so I know the wiring through the wall was not the problem. I've also detached all breakers on the panel to see if there was a short anywhere . The circuit breaker was reading the correct voltage when isolated, but when I attached it to the panel, the generator shuts off. Someone mentioned It might be the 200 amp breaker that's the problem. I've never had any breaker issues with my 30 year old panel. Thanks.

Old 10-17-21, 12:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
What does "generator shuts off" mean? Is the generator's engine shutting down? Is a breaker or overload on the generator tripping?

When specifically is the generator tripping? Is it happening the instant you plug it in? Or is it happening only when you flip your breakers?

When you test your system what exactly is your procedure? Is your home's main breaker in the off position before you turn on your generator back feed breaker?

Old 10-17-21, 01:35 PM
P
Hi, The generator's engine actually shuts off about 30 seconds or so when I flip on the 30 amp breaker at panel. The home breaker is off when I flip on the 30 amp breaker. I've installed the same set up with my square D panel and that worked like a charm, no issues. This has been a nightmare to deal with.

Old 10-17-21, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
It sounds like your generator has some type of GFI protection that is not incorporated in the generator breaker.

What's the model of the genny ?
You may have to unbond the ground from neutral at the generator.

Old 10-17-21, 02:47 PM
P
Firman H07552 and Smarter Tools GP7500DEB. Thanks

Old 10-17-21, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Firman H07552 ............ no mention or indication of GFI protection on 240v receptacles.
30A receptacle protected by a 30A circuit breaker.
50A receptacle protected by a 31A circuit breaker.
There is a VF module. Not sure what that is.

GP7500DEB...... no mention of GFI protection on any receptacle.

Are you saying both generators just shut off ?

Last edited by PJmax; 10-17-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 05:13 PM
P
Yes.

Old 10-17-21, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Someone mentioned It might be the 200 amp breaker that's the problem
I see no reason how the 200 amp breaker could be the issue unless it is not disconnecting the utility power.

After you double-check all your connections in the inlet box and panel, (I have heard of some inlets being miswired from the factory being sold on Amazon) I would recommend troubleshooting this step by step:
1) Startup the generator without it being connected to anything. See if it will continue to run. Check voltage at the generator outlets and see if the voltages are correct.
2) Connect some cord-connected loads such as space heaters. See if they will run and if the generator will run.
3) Connect the generator 30 amp cord. Check the female end to see if the voltages are correct (Hot to hot, hot to neutral, hot to ground)
4) Connect the cord to the inlet without the generator breaker in the main panel being on. Again, check voltages at the breaker in the panel.
5) Turn the main breaker (200) off in the house. Confirm there is no power on the load side of the main breaker.
6) Turn off ALL breakers in the main panel and turn on the generator breaker. Check that voltage on the bus bars is correct.
7) Turn on one breaker at a time and wait for at least one minute and see if the generator shuts down. Do this until all the breakers are on, or the generator shuts down.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 10-18-21 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Very strange problem. Actually a first for me.

A direct short should trip the genny breakers.
Voltage coming back from inside the house should blow the generator.

Tolyn gave you some good testing info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: