GFCI plug that keeps going out

Old 01-02-22, 04:33 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI plug that keeps going out

I have a GFCI plug that has had intermittent problems over the past 2-3 years. It loses power, and nothing happens when I press the reset button and the test button would not press. Two times the power went out in our neighborhood. When the power came back, it would come back to the whole house except for this one outlet. On both occasions power to this outlet came back the next morning.

Yesterday the outlet stopped working although there was no power outage in our neighborhood. I tried replacing the outlet with a new one but had the same problem. Nothing happens when I press the reset button and the test button would not press. So I put the old outlet back in and restored power to the house. This time when I pressed the reset button, it worked!

I was wondering what you guys think might be the problem? My only fear is if I call an electrician and he tells me the whole thing needs to be rewired when the solution is much simpler. Would it be better to have it looked at when it goes out again (since power to the outlet is currently flowing right now)?

Old 01-02-22, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A GFI receptacle will not reset with no power.
A GFI receptacle will not test if not reset. So if it won't reset.... pushing the test won't help.

I've found that many GFI receptacles need the reset button pressed in with a screwdriver or pen.
Your finger can't fit in to push it in far enough.

I wish I could have charged my customers to use a pen to reset their GFI receptacle.

Old 01-02-22, 05:02 PM
D
I used a screwdriver

The reset button goes down all the way but I don't hear the click that usually happens when it is working.

Old 01-02-22, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Then you'd need to pull the GFI receptacle out and check for power.
If there's no power.... it won't reset.
If there is power.... the receptacle is defective.

Old 01-02-22, 05:16 PM
D
I tried a new one but had the same problem. I'm thinking it could be an old breaker that needs to be replaced or loose wiring.

Old 01-03-22, 07:32 PM
D
An electrician came out this afternoon and replaced the circuit breaker. The plastic housing on the circuit breaker had a small crack and was slightly discolored due to high heat in that area. Everything is working well now but I have one question. The old breaker is a 2-pole 20 amp Murray breaker with 1 inch width. He replaced it with two 1-pole Siemens 20 amp breakers. Is there reason he chose to use two 1-pole breakers rather than one 2-pole breaker? He charged me $10 for each breaker which I later found out cost $5.50 at Home Depot, which makes me suspicious of why he would do that. The money is not a huge amount but it takes space in the circuit breaker, which could be useful in the future.

Old 01-03-22, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
If it was discolored due to high heat.... the wire retaining screw was probably loose.

Not two pole..... you mean tandem. Two breakers with independent handles in a single small package.
With age.... the original breakers are no longer made and get subbed to newer replacements.
Either he couldn't get the tandem any more or they were just out of them.

You could post some info for us if you want us to check.
The breaker types approved for that panel are usually listed on the door.
Post that. How to insert pictures.
The part number of the old breaker would be helpful.

$10 a breaker is a fair price from an electrician.

Old 01-03-22, 08:08 PM
D
You're right, it has two independent handles but the label on the unit says 2-pole. I have attached a picture. It's a Murray KL-338 and I think it's pretty old because I cannot find it anywhere online. I also attached a pic of one of the units he replaced it with, a Siemens L-5538 E82615. The second is identical to this one. And the third pic is the damage on the original breaker. The panel does not have anything on the door. The house was built in 1972 and I think it might be the original box.

Old 01-04-22, 08:55 PM
D
Maybe this breaker was just too old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: