Gas range ARC fault in cold weather?

Old 01-10-22, 07:48 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas range ARC fault in cold weather?

I have a 5 month old Frigidaire Professional gas stove/oven, installed as part of an entire main floor renovation complete with electrical overhaul.

Everything has been working fine until today. While the oven was in use the breaker tripped with a little light beside the “arc fault” on. Only the range and the exhaust fan are on this circuit.

The only think I can think of that’s different is that it’s a pretty cold day (-10c). I’m not sure where to start with troubleshooting, or if this is just an immediate call to an electrician?

Old 01-10-22, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are some issues at play here.
AFCI breakers are pretty much required anywhere there is no GFI protection .
I have found gas range spark ignition to trip arc fault breakers.

Most ranges have electronic spark and re ignition modules. If power is lost.... there could be gas allowed into the room. I personally don't believe gas ranges should be arc fault protected. GFI protection is ok.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 01-11-22, 09:56 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
If it just happens once, I'd reset it and wait and see. Arc fault breakers have gotten much more reliable, but it doesn't mean they are perfect. I've seen Arc Fault (and GFI) breakers trip once, and never again.
Obviously if it keeps happening, there's something worth looking into and fixing/troublshooting.

Most ranges have electronic spark and re ignition modules. If power is lost.... there could be gas allowed into the room. I personally don't believe gas ranges should be arc fault protected.
Very interesting - never thought about that. Good to know and keep in mind!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: