Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Are houses pre-wired for cable TV also connected at the street cable box?

Old 03-06-22, 02:49 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents bought a house built new in 2013. It came with coax cable jacks in the bedrooms and media room. Would it also be wired to the cable box in the street? The neighbors had Xfinity when my parents moved in and there would have been a cable box in the street when the house was built. The reason I ask is because my parents currently have very slow DSL (only tier available at their location is 7 Mbps). Xfinity has faster service, but my dad doesn't want to rip up the landscaping to run a wire from the house to street. I assume that if the builder went through the trouble of wiring coax throughout the house, then they also would have connected it at the street. I have an old cable modem that I plan to bring over next time I visit and see if there is a signal on the line. But what I really want to know is is there is a coax from the house to the street.

Old 03-06-22, 02:55 PM
Received 995 Likes on 904 Posts
There is no way we can say for sure but in my experience, gas, electric, and water/sewer are the only utilities that are installed, everything else is requested.

They just bury the wire below the grass, it's not going to be anything that will be seen after a couple weeks.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-22, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Would it also be wired to the cable box in the street?
Not necessarily.

But what I really want to know is is there is a coax from the house to the street.
Pretty hard for us to answer. Typically yes.

The cables in the house and the cable to the street will meet in/at a demarc location.

Post a picture or two of the services at the side of the house.... How to insert pictures.

Old 03-06-22, 03:57 PM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
Around here the answer would no, unless a previous owner had cable, in which case they would disconnect at the node and leave the cables installed.
When they install the cable, if it is not overhead, the in ground usually is very little damage. They do not dig any trenches to lay the cable. All they do is cut a slit with the shovel and push the cable down 3-4 inches. The slit just folds shut and you never it.

Old 03-06-22, 04:52 PM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Why not contact Xfinity and ask this question, forget your cable modem, it wonít work.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 03-06-22, 05:53 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
In my neighborhood, the answer would be yes, probably most of the way. By that I mean Comcast's contractors would have run coax between the house and the junction box on the street at the time the neighborhood was built. But if no one at the house ever paid for cable TV or Internet, they may have left the street end of the coax disconnected and possibly unterminated.

My neighborhood was built in 1988 and I know that I have coax buried in conduit to the junction box in front of a neighbor's house.

In any case, you can't just attach a random cable modem whose MAC address is unknown by Comcast even if there was a signal there. Your parents should simply phone Comcast. Comcast loves new customers and will give them a great deal which will expire before they know it.

Old 03-06-22, 09:52 PM
L
Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Unless the house was built as community, communication companies generally don't pull cable to the house until service is requested.

Burying cable underground usually does not disrupt landscape too much. Any trench installers may have to cut usually disappears in a month or less.

Old 03-07-22, 01:00 AM
Received 995 Likes on 904 Posts
unless a previous owner had cable,
It should be pretty obvious, they terminate the cable right at where the electrical box is located, just go look, it wont be hard to miss.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: