Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Disposal runs constantly when plugged in regardless of switch position

Old 03-09-22, 04:59 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i have a disposal and a dish washer plugged in to a plug in surge surpresor which is then plugged into an outlet under the sink and controlled by a switch up on the wall next to the sink. Its worked fine for many years but recently now it stays on regardless of the switch being on or off. Any thoughts as to whats wrong with it? The outlet isnt gfci does it need to be? And should that outlet be wired a certain way to run a disposal? Thanks for your help i appreciate it.

Old 03-09-22, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Unplug the surge protector and plug the disposal directly into the outlet, and see if the switch works now. If it does, you know it's the surge protector. If it doesn't, replace the switch.

Old 03-09-22, 05:23 AM
L
Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Is both disposal and dishwasher plugged into same outlet?
When they are plugged into same duplex outlet, only one of it should be switched.
This is done by breaking side tap on hot side.

What type of surge suppressor do you have? It is the one covering entire face of duplex outlet, it won't work because it taps into only one outlet. I don't see any reason to use surge suppressor for disposal and dishwasher either.

The following 2 users liked this post by lambition:
Old 03-09-22, 05:34 AM
A
Received 229 Likes on 210 Posts
If the dishwasher and the disposer were were plugged into the same surge suppressor with receptacles then both or neither would be controlled by the switch and simultaneously.

Was the (duplex) receptacle in the wall replaced recently?

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-09-22, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
It sounds like you have a split outlet. One socket should be switched while the other is constantly on. You can not plug both devices into the same surge suppressor. The disposal needs to plug into the switched socket and the dishwasher into the always on socket.

Old 03-09-22, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
I missed the part about the dishwasher.

Old 03-09-22, 09:14 AM
M

ok this is the setup that is hooked up. yes this is a new receptacle. i didnt install it myself so i dont know if its wired wrong. Also forgot to mention theres 3 things requiring power a dishwasher ,water filtration system and a disposal. The side tabs are not broke off yet. So how do i set this mess up? Do i need a different recepticle? Which side tab needs to be broke off? Again thanks to everyones input.

Old 03-09-22, 09:23 AM
A
Break off the tab on the "hot" side (added later: "hot" side only) of the receptacle unit, the side with the slightly smaller plug prong slots. That is, here between the red and black wires.

Either the dishwasher or the disposer must be plugged into a different surge suppressor (or no surge suppressor) so it is powered by its own half of the duplex receptacle unit You will need to experiment to find out which half is switch controlled.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-09-22 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-09-22, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Did you replace the outlet? It appears so.

That outlet NOT split but the wiring to it says that it should be split. A normal outlet should only have three wires connected to it (black/hot, white/neutral, and bare copper ground). You have an extra red conductor indicating that one of those sockets might be switched. You would need to remove the bridge connecting the two halves of the outlet (with the breaker turned off of course). Check both sides of the outlet in case there is a tab on both sides in which case remove both. That will electrically isolate each socket so one can stay on continuously and the other controlled by your wall switch.

Old 03-09-22, 09:59 AM
Received 282 Likes on 241 Posts
Check both sides of the outlet in case there is a tab on both sides in which case remove both.
You got ahead of yourself on that one PD. There is only one neutral (white) wire so the tab on that side shouldn't be removed. Your diagram shows it correctly.

Old 03-09-22, 11:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
I always remove both tabs. Too many people are not aware that there is a hot and neutral side to the outlet and I encounter many DIY installed outlets wired backwards. Even with both tabs removed it isn't correct but at least it's a bit less wrong from the standpoint that the outlet will work as intended, except for loosing the safety of a correctly wired polarized socket.

Old 03-09-22, 12:53 PM
Received 282 Likes on 241 Posts
If only one neutral wire is connected and the tab on the neutral side is removed, the receptacle half without a wire will not work. This is also true for MWBC (mutli-wire branch circuit) with a shared neutral.

If individual circuits on separate breakers (not MWBC), then there should be separate neutrals and the tab should be removed.

Old 03-09-22, 02:08 PM
A
If you broke off the tab on the neutral side and then found out you should not have then you would wire nut the single neutral from the feed cable to two pigtails (short lengths wholly within the same box) and connect the latter to the two respective neutral (usually silver) screws.

You might find it quicker to replace the receptacle unit (again) with a new one (without the neutral side tab removed), avoiding the need for pigtails.

Old 03-09-22, 03:41 PM
M
Thanks everyone breaking that tab fixed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: