Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I am having a problem understanding how Functional Devices RIB2401B works

Old 04-02-22, 10:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to grok exactly what this device does. There are 2 sets of 3 wires, the one set for Common, 24V & 120V, and another set for a common and 2 other leads, each of which corresponding to either default open & closed. My presumption is that I have a 120V line source, and the device has a transformer element that will give me a 24V line, and that relay acts as per there being a current in the 24V line - is all this is accurate? If not, then how am I wrong?

Now for the application - this is for a vintage electromechanical pinball machine (Gottlieb's Diamond Jack, to be precise). The stock schematic is that there is the Coin Chute Switch (CCS) in the coin door such that when a coin drop actuates it, the full mains voltage of 115V going through that switch powers the Start Relay coil that starts the machine startup sequence (and that circuit is protected by a default-off switch controlled by that Start Relay Coil (SRC) that then cuts the circuit to the CCS). This has been modified so that the pushing of the Coin Return Button (CRB) on the coin door closes the CCS - and importantly, there is only a piece of fishpaper that keeps that full mains voltage from the coin door!

Later electromechanical pinball machines use the stepped down voltage (in Golttieb's case, only 25V) for a proper Start button whose only purpose is to get that SRC actuated (also protected by fishpaper, but at least the shock risk is much less). My goal for this project is to have the 24/25V go to the Coin Reject button, and when that circuit closes, the 120V will go to the SRC.

As per the presumption I had made about the operation of the RIB, I had set up this wiring as per the attached file. (And just thinking about, it seems that perhaps I should have put in a resistor so that the 24V current wouldn't go super high?) In any case, I had wired like this, and nothing happened; I had not looked at the machine fuses (as I was out of time and had to go on a trip the next day), so I haven't tested anything, but the fuses will be the first thing I look at.

Of course, my understanding of how this RIB works could be all wrong, and perhaps I need to supply the 24V (which would be 25V from the transformer)? And I still don't know what controls the relay switches.

I've asked a well-visited pinball forum, but no one has given me an answer about how to use this device. All I am seeking at this forum is understanding how this device actually works.

NOTE: The thin lines are stock; the thick lines are for the RIB leads and any (for the magenta) a bypass that was added. The Xs mark a cut in the stock line.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-22, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum wiz.

You've got the schematic right there.
The entire RIB line is a multifunctional set of relays.

The red side is the coil side.
Wht/Yel and Wht/Blu is the 24v in coil connection.
Wht/Yel and Wht/Blk is the 120v in coil connection.

The blue side is a form C switch.
Yellow is common, Orange is normally open and blue is normally closed.

There is no transformer in that unit.
You pick one input voltage. You cannot use both at the same time
perhaps I need to supply the 24V (which would be 25V from the transformer)
Yes.... that is correct. Run that 25v thru the switch to activate the relay.

Old 04-04-22, 03:53 PM
S
OK, I've redone my schematic:

Old 04-04-22, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
That looks correct.
You're now using 24v thru the coin chute switch to activate the relay
switching 120v power to the S coil.

Old 04-06-22, 12:53 AM
S
OK, I need to guard the current in 25V section, so I will need use another RIB unit to get the proper behavior as a per switch R:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: