Chargers for rechargeable toy batteries

Old 04-24-22, 03:55 PM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Chargers for rechargeable toy batteries

I'm no good at batteries. Have a toy car and a drone with these batteries but we lost the chargers. Assuming I can buy or make something? Don't know how to begin looking. Don't understand how the volts and mAh work. Thanks!

Old 04-24-22, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Batteries have a set voltage. 6Vdc for the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery and 3.7Vdc for the Lithium Polymer ( (LiPo) 1S battery. The other number (Mah) is the capacity of the battery, or how much energy it can hold. To charge a battery you need to charge it with a voltage the same or slightly higher than the battery's rated voltage. However, you shouldn't just put a constant voltage on a battery because you can overcharge them and cause them damage. This is especially important for the Lipo battery. The best thing to do would be to find a replacement battery charger.

Check Amazon for "Lipo charger" and you will find many options. Just make sure to get on that will charge 1S Lipo batteries and NiMH batteries with a JST connector.

Old 04-24-22, 06:21 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I suggest investing in a charger that has multi voltage and multi chemistry capabilities that comes with (or supports) an octopus cable connector such as this charger: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Batte.../dp/B07R18YNZQ I personally own an older Dynamite brand charger that has this octopus adapter and I absolutely love it because I have at least 4x different battery types in this house and it supports them all!

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 04-24-22, 10:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
@ sn3akyp3t3
Interesting unit. Probably a good choice for this member.

Charging nickle metal/hydride batteries and LiIon type batteries require two completely different methods. Typically it's better to replace the charger for the device they are used in.

Old 04-25-22, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The charger linked on Amazon will work though it is MUCH more charger than you need. Because of it's power you will have to make sure it is properly programmed for each battery type, especially the lithium battery.

Luckily your lithium battery is 1S (single cell) so you don't need to worry about balancing. If you attempt to charge other lithium batteries make certain you know what you are charging and program the charger accordingly. Doing it wrong can cause the battery to catch fire (and they make a ton of smoke that REALLY stinks).

Old 04-25-22, 12:02 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Can you find replacement chargers from the maker of the drone and toy? Maybe even a used one from Ebay

Old 05-17-22, 11:29 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
HI I'm so sorry I forgot to respond back here. Thank you all! I took the advice and found a replacement charger for the unit (amazed I found one) at Walmart. It also came with 4 new batteries for only $19.99 !! Anyway it fixed the one problem. So for the 2nd I'm still searching for a replacement.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SNAPTAIN-...rger/107050019

Secondarily I would love to get something like that spider charger for resolve all of these types of issues. But sounds like I need to do some learning, though, on different types of batteries and how they're charged before I start a fire :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: