wiring for garage heater

Old 06-08-22, 10:35 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring for garage heater

Im wanting to install a garage heater. dyna glo EG5000DGC

I have the ceiling in the garage exposed, but will be drywalled. I want to run 10/2 or 8/2 from the panel connected to a 30 amp double breaker. I want to run the NM-B through the exposed ceiling joists and over to where I want the heater. My issue is the code compliant way to bring the romex out through the ceilng(which will be drywalled) and then likely in a metal junction box. Then I would connect a non-metallic whip to the junction box and connect the other end of the whip to the heater.

Can you help with with best ideas to bring the romex out through the ceiling to connect into a junction box that I would mount to the ceiling as the ceiling is not drywalled yet.

I want to be sure to stay code compliant.

Old 06-08-22, 12:27 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 339 Likes on 305 Posts
Can you run it up from the wall onto the ceiling joists. Install a new-work plastic or metal box and drywall over it like you would for any indoor box. Then add a metal cover with a 3/4" hole for the whip to come out of.

Alternatively, you can pop out the top of the wall, and staple along the ceiling (not subject to damage) or sleeve in conduit if you want it looking nicer. Go to a 4x4 metal box, and run the whip out of that.

Does that help?

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-22, 01:26 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do metal covers ever come with a 3/4" hole for the whip or would I have to drill a hole?

The Romex will be run along the ceiling joists all the way from the panel to where the junction box would go. So your first suggestion might be best.

Old 06-08-22, 01:44 PM
P
Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts
Run the romex as you are thinking and bring it to a ceiling box and use a cover plate with a knockout as suggested. Or get a blank and drill the hole. This example is 1/2" but they do come with 3/4" knockout.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-Round-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 06-08-22, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
A 4" square box (1900) has a blank with a KO but it won't work there as you need a mud ring for sheetrocking.

You only need 10-2 w/gr so use a nail-on gem box. Plastic is ok.
Use a metal single gang blank with 1/2" KO. Available in many finishes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: