Car Battery Bank Jumper & Inverter

Old 06-08-22, 09:58 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Car Battery Bank Jumper & Inverter

Are Car Battery Bank Jumper usually 12 volts?

https://www.amazon.com/AVAPOW-Starte.../dp/B0928VN98C
https://www.amazon.com/Enginstar-Por.../dp/B088GRSKDR

Does it matter if I plug a 12v or 24v battery to an inverter? Or does the inverter does not care how the power comes in?

Old 06-09-22, 12:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Not sure if I'm following where you are going.

Car battery jumper packs must be 12v if connecting to a 12v car battery.
The inverter should have the input voltage right on it. If it says 12v.... that's it.
If it has a cigarette lighter plug on it.... it's 12v only.

Old 06-09-22, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by PJMax
Car battery jumper packs must be 12v if connecting to a 12v car battery.
I was not aware of this and I was just wondering about this. I thought a 12v battery pack can be plugged to any battery. Thanks for clearing this up.
The inverter should have the input voltage right on it. If it says 12v.... that's it.
If it has a cigarette lighter plug on it.... it's 12v only.
The reason why I asked this question is because I was watching a solar panel video on youtube. There was a series of batteries connected to the inverter. I thought the volt does not matter when connecting to an inverter. Can you confirm if a 24v batter connect to an inverter that normally connects to a 12v battery? Thanks

Old 06-09-22, 03:57 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
The answer is no. Review series and parallel connections in electronics.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-09-22, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Just look at the numbers. You cannot hook up a 12 to something that needs 24 and vice versa. This goes for solar panels, jump boxes, batteries, cars... Just like at home you can't hook your 120 volt washing machine up to 240 without releasing the magic smoke.

Old 06-09-22, 05:30 AM
Good thing I asked the question and the answers clarified my question.

In the past, when I asked if I can use an adapter that 2 amp on an item that is 1 amp, I was told that is fine. Same thing with watts, where an inverter is rated at 300 watts, but I can use an item that is 60 watts. I thought the volt would be the same but it is not.

So that cleared up the first question.

As for the second question, does it matter if I plug a 12 volt or 24 volt to the inverter? I would assume no right?

Old 06-09-22, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
I thought we addressed that. You can only connect 12v to a 12v inverter.

There are 24v inverters made and in that case you must connect 24v to it to make it operate.
Those will not come with a cigarette lighter plug.

The higher the voltage... the lower the operating current.
The lower the operating current.... the smaller the wire can be.
Some solar systems have inverters that run on 24v which would be two 12v batteries in series.
Some solar systems have inverters that run on 48v which would be four 12v batteries in series.

WRDIY voted this post useful.
Old 06-09-22, 09:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The second device you linked (https://www.amazon.com/Enginstar-Por.../dp/B088GRSKDR) says it's input is "Type-C input only, 5V - 9V 2A, 18W max". You could use a modern variable voltage charger wall wort like used on many computers, tablets and phones.

The first device you linked says it needs "Type-C Intput 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A" for input. I hope that means how it charges. You could use a modern variable voltage charger wall wort like used on computers, tablets and phones.

Since both devices say they have a Type-C input I would NOT connect directly to any 12 or 24 volt source directly. It sounds like both devices need the smart controls of the charger (wall wort).

Notice in the Amazon listing they say the charger is not included. You will need a USB type C charger (wall wort) for either device. You can use a simple, standard USB-C charger but it will take a long time. Using a high powered, variable voltage fast charger will charge much faster.

Old 06-09-22, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
I'm thoroughly confused. These newly posted inverters are not what were discussed in previous threads. I misunderstood what you were asking.

These newly posted inverters are self contained with batteries and must use A USB charger or the supplied cigarette lighter charger adapter. You cannot connect any batteries to them.

Old 06-09-22, 10:54 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
inverters have a specific voltage range and they need to match the battery they have low and high voltage cutoffs a typical 12 volt example would be 12-16 volts you may find that information on the manufacturers website. but the voltage range is designed for the inverter to function off just the battery or a battery that is being charged at a higher voltage like an alternator or solar.
the jump starter inverter is designed to run off the internal battery whatever voltage it may be, many portable inverters like that now using lithium battery packs but there still going to have a voltage cutoff range based on battery voltage.

Old 06-09-22, 02:08 PM
I thought we addressed that. You can only connect 12v to a 12v inverter.

There are 24v inverters made and in that case you must connect 24v to it to make it operate.
Those will not come with a cigarette lighter plug.

The higher the voltage... the lower the operating current.
The lower the operating current.... the smaller the wire can be.
Some solar systems have inverters that run on 24v which would be two 12v batteries in series.
Some solar systems have inverters that run on 48v which would be four 12v batteries in series.
Thank You, This is the clarification I have been looking for. Excellent!

Dane, thanks for pointing that out. Right now, when I travel internationally and need portable power, I bring along an:

Inverter (300 watts)
Car Jumper Battery Bank
Adapter (Cigarette between the Inverter and Car Jumper with EC5)

While this setup works and amazes me, I started to think about solar charging and batteries. So questions popped up about batteries (12v vs 24v) and inverters.

Originally Posted by Alan73
inverters have a specific voltage range and they need to match the battery they have low and high voltage cutoffs a typical 12 volt example would be 12-16 volts
Is this the reason why when I connect a 20v battery to the inverter, it does not work? But when I connect the car jumper battery bank above, then it works because it is 12v.

Originally Posted by WRDIY
I thought a 12v battery pack can be plugged to any battery.
Correction: to any inverter. Pete, Dane and Alan, you cleared this up. Amp and Watt can be within the range but volt has to be exactly (Example 12v battery to 12v inverter) Thanks

Old 06-09-22, 08:28 PM
OK, I won't ask about car jumper battery bank and inverters anymore because I have beaten to death this topic. It is just fascinating for me.

However, I am especially glad that I did ask the latest series of questions because now it is all coming together. I was able to get a car jumper battery bank to power a lamp last year.

Inverter (Pure Sine vs Regular)

But when I tried to plug a 20v to the same setup, it did not work. For months, this kept pondering on my mind. But this makes sense now:
Originally Posted by Alan73
inverters have a specific voltage range and they need to match the battery they have low and high voltage cutoffs a typical 12 volt example would be 12-16 volts
I am not sure why I did not think about this but this also make sense.
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
Just like at home you can't hook your 120 volt washing machine up to 240 without releasing the magic smoke.
I should have also read the label.

The reason why this setup has been important to me is because when I travel oversea, some hotels cut the power to the room when you leave the room. Therefore, I needed a power source for my travel router and WIFI camera. This allows me to monitor my room since I have expensive computer equipment. On my last trip, two guys came into my room and they were probing around my room. The WIFI camera has a siren and also sent me pictures of the guys. I spoke on camera and asked them to identified themselves since they were not in service clothes. They were shocked but told me that they are maintenance people. I told them to leave because I am on my way back. I contacted the hotel manager and they apologized for entering without letting me know. About 15 years ago, we lost several hundreds of dollars that we left in my brief case (in my room) at Las Vegas.

Of course, this setup is not 100% proof if they do "smash and grab", but this at least minimize most thefts and brings peace of mind. Something to think about. Alternatively, I could have used a battery operated camera (without router and power source) but that means the camera would be exposed on the public WIFI and that is a "NOOOOO!" for me.

At least, I don't have to ponder and confuse why the 20v did not work in the setup with a 12v Inverter. This inverter must be made for 40v.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-IV.../dp/B01MZACMQ1

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help on this.

Last edited by WRDIY; 06-09-22 at 09:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: