Not getting power on lights and plugs

Old 06-25-22, 04:42 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not getting power on lights and plugs

I got water in my outside gfci plug, now multiple lights and plugs don't work in my home. I replaced the gfci to see if it would fix the issue but it didn't work. None of the breakers are tripping and I checked all the breakers with a multi meter and everything is getting power. So I'm not sure what the issue is. Does anyone know?

Old 06-25-22, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Did you check to see if you have power on the wires in the box where the GFCI is? If not it is possible that there is another GFCI that protects that outlet as well. Check all the GFCIs in the house. One might be hiding someplace like in the garage, basement, or in a bathroom.

joed voted this post useful.
Old 06-25-22, 05:42 PM
C
Yes I checked the wires on the gfci and there was no power. I looked at all the other gfci Plugs in the house and they are all working and have power.

Old 06-25-22, 05:48 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
It's behind the pile of boxes or spare fridge.

Old 06-25-22, 06:03 PM
C
I have looked behind everything. Every gfci is working. Is there any other possibilities?

Old 06-25-22, 07:11 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Bad connection somewhere on the circuit. Are your breakers marked so you can identify what else is on the circuit and start checking other boxes?

Old 06-26-22, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
If you haven't done it already I would recommend pushing the test button on all the GFCIs and resetting them.

The next step would be what Joed posted, start opening boxes and look for a bad connection.

Old 06-26-22, 07:41 AM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Some time back we had an odd situation at the house: whenever we changed a baby diaper, the lights in the kitchen would blink / falter. The changing table pressed against an outlet, and that outlet was "back stabbed": the electrical connection relied on wires held in place by a blade in the outlet, which can weaken and fail over time. When that happens downstream lights / outlets lose their power feed. The sure way to connect electrically is to use the wiring screws on the side of outlet.

Apologies if you knew all that already. Just to clarify, JoeD's suggestion is to check outlets upstream of the dark outlets to make sure they have correct electrical connections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: