Damaged light socket

Old 07-05-01, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a ceiling light fixture that is not working and would like to fix it on my own, if possible. One day out of the blue, the light bulb started blinking. I jiggled the bulb and everything was fine. The next time I turned on the light, there was a brief popping sound but the light stayed on. The next time the bulb did not go on at all. If I jiggle the bulb, it will occasionally light but will not stay lit if I let go. I took the bulb out and noticed that the thin metal part of the socket is broken around one of the rings (sorry, I don't know what the technical term for "ring" is - there are 3, one on each side of the middle prong and one above). Is this an easy replacement or should I contact an electrician? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-01, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should be able to change the fixture yourself. It is advisable to open the circuit breaker feeding the light circuit to avoid being shocked. If you have some type of small fixture the base is normally held in place to the box with two screws, just back those out and rotate the base if it has those little keyholes for mounting, then gently pull the base away from the ceiling. You will probably have a white wire, a black wire and sometimes a bare ground. The black wire is the one that can hurt you if you don't have the power off. Just back off the wire nuts and remove your fixture. It might be good to check the power off with a voltmeter or a test light before putting your fingers on the black wire. The new fixture goes back on the same way.