Connecting a receptacle to a pull chain light fixture?

Old 08-08-22, 10:22 PM
A
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Connecting a receptacle to a pull chain light fixture?

Hey all, could you tell me how you would connect romex to a receptacle below this light fixture?

Old 08-09-22, 01:43 AM
A
Received 163 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Assuming you would want the receptacle to always be hot

Although this light is a pull chain can it be controlled by a switch also.

Sometimes in a basement there may be a lot of lights that go on with a switch. The pull chain gives you the option to shut off each individual light if not needed.

If this light is controlled by a switch then the receptacle will react with the switch.

If it is not controlled by a switch then from what I see you can run romex from the box to a receptacle box. Using the same size gauge wire romex in the box connect your whites and hots and grounds. Make sure the ground is connected to the metal box. You may have to install an extension on the light box to make room for the extra wires. Run the romex to your receptle in a new box and connect your hot,neutral and ground to the receptacle but be sure you run the ground to the box first and then to the receptacle. Just leave yourself a little extra ground wire to make the connects to the box and the receptacle. You will need either a grounding green screw at each box or a grounding clip to be sure you boxes are properly grounded.

AshleyQuick voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-22, 09:45 AM
A
That fixture is not being controlled by a switch. Also, I should have mentioned and shown in the original picture that the receptacle below was mounted and wired years ago by my grandfather (who has passed) with I believe the intension of connecting it to that very fixture. My assumption after talking with grandma is that he probably wasn't sure how to proceed so left it unfinished.

Having said that, do I simply connect the white and blacks so that there are four pigtailed wires in each nut? Here's a pic with the wiring from the receptacle in the foreground.

Old 08-09-22, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Yes.... connect like colors together.
Bring cable into the box via a small oval knockout next to existing cable.

AshleyQuick voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-22, 12:29 PM
A
Got it connected and working thanks!

AFJES voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: