Garage lights

Old 07-05-01, 09:44 PM
Visiting Guest
My double garage has a 3-way light switch between the two garage doors and another at the entrance door to the house controlling both overhead lights on either side of the garage. My problem is I've closed off one side of the garage as a spare bedroom and I would like to separate the lights so I can turn on one without the other. I would still like to keep the two 3-ways in the remaining garage but just a single switct in the bedroom. I bought a double switch with a 3-way and a 2-way switch. Is this the way to go?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-01, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's hard to say without seeing it, since there are so many different ways that your current 3-ways might be wired.

I'm also not sure where the 3-ways switch between the two doors ended up -- is it now in the bedroom or outside the bedroom. I also don't know where you now want to control the garage light from -- from inside the bedroom or outside the bedroom.

It is possible that a 3-way and a 2-way double switch could do the trick. But it's also possible that it might not. As I say, it depends on how it is wired now. I would also need to know which of the two switch boxes you want to put this double switch in. It seems to me that you might want a third switch box, but you didn't indicate that.

See if you can figure out the following: Which box does power come to first? The answer might be either of the two switch boxes or either of the lights. So we need to know which of these four places power comes first. Post back if you don't know how to figure this out.