Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on how to bury an accessible conduit junction box

Old 08-15-22, 08:47 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Network related but it has more to do with Electrical products really.
Outdoor Access Point mounted on a fence post. The post has 110V to it inside an older meter box. This AP is powered by POE. The POE injector it came with is rated to104F which it can get to in recent summers and if I put it in an above ground enclosure or the meter box it would get even hotter. Why they would provide something with these restrictions on an outdoor AP is beyond me. I also don't want to mess with fans.
In addition to that POE injector I will have a second one going to an IP Camera. The AP is in client mode working as a wifi adapter for the IP camera.

The camera will be mounted on another post about 20ft away.

I will be running 1 1/2 conduit between the poles since no matter what I need to run a cat6 cable for the camera.

What I'd like to do is bury the POE injectors for the sole purpose of temperature. Keep them cooler in summer and they should generate enough heat in the small space during winter to survive.

Having them accessible is no problem. This is in a field along a fence row so having a flush cover is fine and nothing heavy would ever go over it.

This is all on a bank next to a pond that isn't uncommon to overflow right where this access box would be located. So it could be submerged for a couple hours.

What are my options here to prevent water intrusion? Looking for specific products, both the 1 1/2 conduit box and access box, that people have had success with.

Adding a photo with the injectors floating in the air. Those are what I am needing to projected from the elements. Easiest would be putting them in the meter box but afraid temps would get too hot.
I didn't label them but the red lines are the power supply for the poe injectors. Plugged into an outlet inside the meter box.

Old 08-16-22, 09:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 320 Votes on 286 Posts
I wouldn't put the POE injectors in the outlet box, mixing line voltage and low voltage is never a good thing and is against code. I also wouldn't bury them (unless they are waterproof), nothing you put underground will remain dry.

I would get some kind of enclosure for them, probably something like an 8x8 plastic electrical box to house them. Drill the holes you need and silicone them sealed after the wires are run. I would also drill a 1" hole in the bottom of the box with a screen on it to prevent the box from holding in any additional heat.

I realize you'll exceed their rated temperatures on hot days, but IMO, I don't think they will fail when it hits 110 outside... and if/when they do fail, it'll be cheaper to replace them than figure out some other kind of solution.

Old 08-16-22, 10:07 AM
K
and if/when they do fail, it'll be cheaper to replace them than figure out some other kind of solution.
Amen to that. Was looking at outdoor rated poe injectors and prices are crazy.

Appreciate the reply and thoughts. I'll go that route.

Last edited by kramttocs; 08-16-22 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 03:04 AM
T
Received 100 Votes on 87 Posts
May have missed it, but why is the injector outside? Put it inside and spend the money saved on exterior rated network cable. If any network cable will be underground, use direct burial cable all the way. Fought that battle many times.

Old 08-17-22, 08:46 AM
K
I really, really wish I could and have been thinking on this project a few months trying to find some other option than wireless. I already have a large POE switch in the house that I use for other cameras but unfortunately where this is located it's over 100m away. Even if I wanted to try and push it with some inline extenders, there is a paved drive between the house and this field that I wouldn't be easy to water jet under. I even tried the powerline option but too many hops.
The wireless AP is actually picking up a solid signal and maxing out the bandwidth it's capable of (300Mb) so pleasantly surprised but at the trade off of dealing with two poe injectors...
And of course the AP has to use passive poe whereas the camera is standard or else I could just get a single small poe switch and eliminate one more piece...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: