Replacing outlet - has wire strands vs solid wires

Old 10-05-22, 10:33 AM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing outlet - has wire strands vs solid wires

Hi,
I have a GFCI outlet that I figured would be a 10 minute job to replace as I've replaced many over the years.

When I took out the old outlet, I see that the wires are those stranded wires vs a solid copper wire. This is the first time I've seen this.

Is there a trick to making these connections under the screws? When I tighten the screw, most of the strands bleed out from under. Some digging mentions "tinning" stranded wires, but I'm hoping to keep this somewhat simple (and of course safe!)

Thanks!

Old 10-05-22, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
A GFI receptacle uses pro side terminal connections.
That means the wires don't go around the screws.
They go into the holes in the back of the device and the screw and plate holds the wire in.

Old 10-05-22, 11:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 307 Posts
What Pete said.

Those pressure-plate receptacles are the way to go with stranded wire. As Pete said, all GFI receptacles have them, and if you're using stranded wire, I would spend an extra dollar on the better standard receptacles that have s similar pressure plate installation.

As a side-note, a trick I learned if you are using screw terminals is to counter-twist the strands. Wires are twisted by the manufacturer in a clockwise direction. By re-twisting them counter-clockwise, they are less likely to spread when tightened under a screw.

The following users liked this post:
Gen
Old 10-05-22, 11:37 AM
W
First of all - may I just say ahead of time - THANK YOU BOTH!!

Second - I have this Leviton and I looked for the holes in the back like in the picture above and hadn't seen holes, however, now I'm wondering if the wire can just go UNDER the plate as t here is a little curve where I can see that is a possibility. And I am now googling for this!

This is the one I bought - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-0KW/205996763

I can go back and exchange if there is a better option!

Thank you!

Old 10-05-22, 11:58 AM
W
Update - worked like a charm! But regretting getting the tamper resistant --- didn't pay close enough attention when I got it....

Thank you!

Old 10-05-22, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
Good job.

Some have the holes in the back and some just have the side plates. Both work similarly.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-05-22, 02:31 PM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
tamper resistant
Yep damn NEC and their now mandated "Tamper Resistant Receptacles" that are 99.9% JUNK don't get me started on the AFCI requirement LoL ! Isn't someone going to get me started

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: