remote control ceiling fan

Old 07-07-01, 10:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help! I have a new ceiling fan that I can't seem to get working. It replaces an older fan that we want to change. The old fan does not have remote control but the new one does. in my ceiling I have a black wire, a white wire and a red wire. The light on the fan was turned on by a switch on the wall. The new fan has a rectangular remote hookup that has a red wire(main/live)and a white(main neutral)wire that hooks to the ceiling? and on the other side it has a black(fan), blue(light), and white(neutral) wire that in the manual shows that it connects to the canopy with three matching wires. Would you hook red to red or red to black, we have tried both, we have white to white. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-08-01, 06:34 AM
raca
Visiting Guest
What it sounds like on your old fan you could turn the light on with the switch and turn on the fan with the pull chain but now your your adding the remote so you now have a switch for the light and the fan on the remote. You can either eliminate the switch and use the remote or you can still hook up the switch leave it on and use the remote.What you want to do is find the wire that is controlled by the switch black or red in the ceiling and hook that up with your main red wire on that rectangular remote box hook the white from the ceiling to your white main wire in your remote box.There will be an extra wire in the ceiling that you wont be using black or red just cap it off by itself and tuck it in the box The black,blue,and white wires on the other side hook up to the three wires on the fan.The fan wires should be marked light kit,fan motor,and the white hook them up according to the markings on the remote box that should do it. Good Luck

Old 07-08-01, 12:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have wrestled with remote controlled fans before. In fact, I tried three different ones in the same bedroom before I found one I liked how it worked. The problem is that it is hard to find one that allows you to use either the wall switches or the remote. When you add the remote, you usually give up some of the control you used to have with wall switches.

Do you have one wall switch or two?

If you can tell us how more about how the old fan was controlled (you mentioned that one switch controled the light, but what controlled the fan?), and how you want the new one to work, we can probably tell you what's possible.

Different fan remotes work differently. You may need to buy a different fan or a different remote to get what you want (assuming you know what you want). You may decide you don't even want the remote control feature.

Old 07-08-01, 01:49 PM
raca
Visiting Guest
Ive found less problems when you buy the fan that comes with a remote seemed to work real well had a dimmer and speed control too.I wouldnt recommend buying the universal type to work with any fan.

Old 07-08-01, 06:17 PM
J
If you are buying a fan and light combo, and have a wall switch, I have exactly the opposite suggestion to raca's.

When you buy a fan with a factory-installed remote, your wall switch is rendered pretty much useless (except as a method of turning things off). This is because the fan defaults to light-off/fan-off when power is applied. This is annoying when coming into a dark room and stumbling around trying to remember where you left the remote.

The Hunter All-Fan remote, which is installed in fans not shipped with a remote, defaults to light-on/fan-off when the power is applied. This at least allows you to turn on the light from the wall switch. This is especially important in a room with two entrances, each with a 3-way switch (since you can't leave the remote by both doors at the same time).

But if you currently have two wall switches, one for the fan and one for the light, and you want to be able to continue to control the fixture that way, then you don't want a remote control at all!

Again, it depends on how you want it to work.

Old 07-08-01, 08:21 PM
raca
Visiting Guest
Point taken i guess ive never ran into that problem the ones ive insatlled must of had that feature.That would be annoying.

Old 07-10-01, 08:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you so much for the suggestions. The fan came with a remote. Only one switch on the wall and it controls the light only. The old fan had to be turned on by chain. The switch in the wall has two red wires going to it. We tried all your suggestions, red to red, red to black, nothing worked. Finally we had to just give up on the remote and just wire the motor to black, the red to blue and white to white the way the old one was hooked up. But I wan't my remote control. Oh well If anyone knows anything else let me know. Thanks again for the help!!

Old 07-10-01, 09:28 PM
J
Wow Tina, your last post had a wealth of information that we needed and didn't know before.

Here's how to get your remote back. I'll give you two choices.

Choice A
This choice is the way the fan manufacturer intended, and will render your wall switch useless -- i.e., your wall switch will do absolutely nothing and all control will be via the remote.[list=1][*] Hook the remote's red wire to the black wire from the ceiling.[*] Hook the remote's white wire to the white wire from the ceiling.[*] Cap off the red wire in the ceiling with a wire nut.[/list=1]

Choice B
This choice will allow you to use your switch as a master cutoff. However, if you turn the switch off, nothing will work until you turn the switch on and use your remote to turn on the fan and/or light. This means that in general, you will leave your wall switch on almost all the time, and primarily use the remote to control the fan and light. Again, turning on the switch without also using the remote will not do anything![list=1][*] Hook the remote's red wire to the red wire from the ceiling.[*] Hook the remote's white wire to the white wire from the ceiling.[*] Cap off the black wire in the ceiling with a wire nut.[/list=1]

Post back and let us know how it comes out.

P.S. At this time, you're wishing you had a choice "C" so that the wall switch could be used independently of the remote -- sorry, there is no such choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: