Adding sub panel to old 60 amp fused main.

Old 11-09-22, 05:18 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding sub panel to old 60 amp fused main.

Looking for some advice and confirmation on adding a new main disconnect from the old 60amp service. I am doing this for two reasons, one to switch all the circuits over to a updated breaker protected panel and two because updating the entire service is just not in the budget. Using a 100amp main disconnect square d panel for sub coming off my old 60 fused, literally a side by side setup so my service line to my new panel is within 5 feet. My first inquiry would be the better place to tap off for my new panel, either the range side as that will not be being used or the taps at the bottom? Secondly my bonding, as with any sub panel as long as I am corrrctly bonded at my service entrance and old 60 amp panel, then I am separate neutral and ground in my new sub panel.?

Old 11-09-22, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Technically that new panel is considered a sub panel so you should keep the neutrals and grounds separate.
Even after you re-feed it with a new service it's ok to keep the neutral and grounds separate.
At that time you could add a bonding screw/jumper if required.

Probably best to feed from the range connection because we're not sure if the bottom lugs have any protection.

You could post some pictures of your old panel.... How to insert pictures.

Old 11-09-22, 09:39 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You'll want to connect to a 60A breaker/fuse in your old panel. If you can upgrade the fuse/breaker from the range to 60A, you'll be set. Your service entry is most likely rated only to 60A, so it can't be directly connected to your new 100A panel.

I would keep your new panel as close as you can to the old panel. When you do upgrade the service entry to 100A, it'll need to be the 'shortest possible' path, if you put it too far away, you may need another disconnect.

separate neutral and ground in my new sub panel
Correct. Keep the green bonding screw as you'll need it in the future when it becomes the main panel.

Old 11-09-22, 11:58 AM
G
Thank you much for the input, and believe I will be coming off the range side for my legs. However knowing I am bonded at the service neutral in the back, I guess my last question would be where best to bring my ground leg over from old panel? at that bonded point? or run new separate ground to new ground rod?

Old 11-09-22, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Do you currently have a water system ground or ground rod ?
We can see the neutral in the back of the panel coming from the meter.
We don't see any ground in that view.
Possibly there is a ground at the meter.

Old 11-09-22, 04:17 PM
G
Their is a ground rod and both neutral and ground are bonded in the service box, can I just safely snake a ground up into that connection and tap onto that lug F or my sub ground?, would like new rod and ground separate would prefer to wait until I get a new service drop

Old 11-10-22, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
By service box I'm guessing you mean the box outside where the meter is.
For now you can connect the neutral to your existing fuse box neutral.
It looks like your service is all pipe which means you can your ground off of the fuse box itself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: