20 amp Smart Receptacle with USB Ports?

Old 12-03-22, 09:21 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
20 amp Smart Receptacle with USB Ports?

After a fair amount of searching online without success, is there a manufacturer of 20 amp smart duplex receptacles that also have USB ports?

Thanks in advance!
Andrea

Old 12-04-22, 01:43 AM
A
Received 124 Upvotes on 104 Posts
Question

Any particular reason why you need a 20amp? Very few household devices need a 20amp receptacle.

What is your application

Also, if you use a 20amp receptacle it must be on a 20amp circuit with 12 gauge wiring. You can put a 15amp receptacle on a 20amp circuit. You can not put a 20amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit though.

2john02458, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 12-19-22, 10:32 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just wondering if wise to install 20 amp wall outlets throughout an older house for the purpose of "future proofing" as electrical is upgraded. I like the idea of adding smart outlets below windows and the added USB ports would be a "plus feature" for controlling AC window units or Christmas lighting, etc or whatever comes down the pike, so to speak. Just trying to anticipate greater demand...

As to the "one hit wonder" comments by CasualJoe. No need for snarky comments as you don't know what has happened in a person's life in the time from the initially posted question. Thanks for your supporting comment AFJES!

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 12-19-22, 12:03 PM
A
Andrea no one means any harm when they say anything about a thread starter coming back. We do get people that posts questions, we spend time answering them (our free advice) and then they never come back to respond. They may read them but don't post anything. You also have to remember that we that answer posts may answer serveral on this forum and then on other forums also giving our free advice. This takes us time and sometimes quite honestly it does make it easier for us to lose track of the dates of the posts. It is very possible that CasualJoe just did not realize the time that passed from when you posted to the date he responded. I too have made comments on some posters threads about their lack of follow up. We like to see the follow up and to also know the outcomes of the issues using our advice. So don't take it too hard.

You really don't have to worry about replacing 15amp rated receptacles with 20amp rated receptacles. For your use and most uses there is no need to. The only time when you really do need a 20amp receptacle is when you are plugging in a true 20 amp rated device which would have one prong horizontal instead of both of them being verticle. That may be something like a higher end UPS for your computer, modem and router setup in case you lose power. Other than those it is very rare that you will have a device that will require a 20amp receptacle.

Smart receptacles are ok. They are expensive though. Installing a 15amp receptacle with USB ports will be just aS useful and safe in your case as installing a 20amp receptacle with USB ports so you can get the 15amp ones with the same amount of safety provided.

I hope this has answered your concerns.

Old 12-21-22, 02:26 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
It is very possible that CasualJoe just did not realize the time that passed from when you posted to the date he responded.
No, I was quite aware that 6 days had passed when I commented. There are occasions when a poster asks for information and never comes back. In this case it was over 2 weeks before the OP came back. It just tells me that the question was not terribly important.

Old 12-04-22, 02:26 PM
P
Received 229 Upvotes on 195 Posts
You must be searching wrong. Amazon, Lowe's and Home Depot carry them.
Oh... nevermind, not a smart receptacle.

Old 12-05-22, 02:46 AM
A
pattenp - same thing happened to me when I searched Amazon. I found a bunch and then realized they were not smart ones.

Let's see what Andrea says as to why a 20amp is necessary.

Old 12-05-22, 07:32 AM
P
Received 229 Upvotes on 195 Posts
I can only think of one piece of equipment in my lifetime that I used that needed 20A outlet with the sideways prong was a heavy duty floor sander/buffer. I have 20A outlet circuits with 15A duplexes and used an adapter to plug it in.

Old 12-05-22, 09:34 AM
A
I think some UPS may use them also.

Old 12-06-22, 05:26 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 245 Upvotes on 225 Posts
Why not buy a USB power adapter that plugs into an ordinary receptacle (or smart outlet or 15/20 amp receptacle or what have you) like a wall wart power supply?

Old 12-09-22, 04:27 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
Let's see what Andrea says as to why a 20amp is necessary.
​​​​​​​She hasn't been back since the day she first posted 6 days ago. Could be another one hit wonder.

Old 12-10-22, 02:06 AM
A
I would give Andrea a few more days to respond. She seems to have responded to past posts (other threads). May just be busy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: