Eave Outlets

Old 12-04-22, 12:24 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Eave Outlets

Greetings,
My house has eave outlets on a 20 amp CB and I rarely use them. Since the porch is secluded and dark I installed an extra porch light (the other porch lights are on a switch with many other lights) and tapped power into the switched eave light circuit via an Intermatic timer in place of the switch. There is a GFCI eave outlet downstream 15 feet from where the porch light is connected that protects the eave outlets. I want to add another GFCI outlet on the timer/porch light circuit on the porch ceiling for Christmas Lights. Upon testing the 17 year old GFCI eave outlet, the test/reset feels funky, so instead of replacing the suspect GFCI outlet already there, then adding another GFCI outlet on the porch I'm thinking of replacing the CB with a GFCI CB and replace the GFCI outlet with a standard outlet. My question is does the porch light I installed have to be GFCI protected per code ? Just curios as the GFCI CB would protect all. It is on the ceiling of the porch 10 feet high.
Thanks

Old 12-09-22, 04:11 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
Yes, the GFCI outlet is in the eaves
That would be a lot like putting a GFCI receptacle on a garage ceiling, it's not easily accessible so a code violation.

AFJES voted this post useful.
Old 12-04-22, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
Where is the eave GFI receptacle ?
Hopefully not up in the eaves.

If it were just eave receptacles.... I'd use a GFI breaker.
The porch light does not need to be GFI protected.

Old 12-04-22, 06:30 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
If it were just eave receptacles.... I'd use a GFI breaker.
Do any receptacles in the eaves need GFCI protection under today's codes? There was a time when outdoor receptacles only needed GFCI protection if they had "Direct Grade Access".

Old 12-04-22, 06:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Eave Outlets

Yes, the GFCI outlet is in the eaves

Old 12-05-22, 02:52 AM
A
Received 124 Upvotes on 104 Posts
As far as I know GFCIs are not required if up in the eaves.

However, I had roof/gutter ice melters installed last year on all edges of my roof for my new seamless gutters when my roof was redone. Was tired of the ice buildup pulling down my gutters. I ran dedicated circuits to each one and mounted the receptacle boxes up in the eaves. I used WR regular receptacle in the eave boxes but feed them from GFCI receptacles in the upstairs of my house. I did not want to take a chance of electrifying gutters. Also, if one trips very handy to reset them from inside the house. I have them on lighted switches inside the house next to their GFCI receptacles so I can monitor them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: