Protecting light sockets from rain?

Old 12-22-22, 11:02 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Protecting light sockets from rain?

We have these sockets pointing up on a menorah. The bulbs screw in pretty tight but over several years, water has gotten in the sockets and caused corrosion of the sockets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-000/100356874

Officially, these are 'weatherproof', but I think that depends on the bulb forming a tight fit with the rubber? which doesn't seem to be the case with the bulbs being used? Or water does just work its way in.

Any advice on what to do?

We tried silicone caulk. But when the bulbs have to be removed, you have to cut it / risk cracking the bulbs with handling. And redoing it is a pain.

We tried the liquid electrical tape. But has to be re applied after removing the bulbs.

Is there some sort of electrical grease that would go inside on the threads / center contact that I guess 'moves out of the way' when the bulbs are screwed in? But protects the threads / center contract? And not conduct electricity between the threads and center contact?

Or I just thought... a grease. or.. plumbers putty!? that would go around the bulb / rubber of socket interface.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-22, 11:35 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
I would try Permatex bulb grease, commonly available in big box stores. It's dielectric, non-conducting, but screwing the bulb in will get you a good connection. It acts as a lubricant and coats the surfaces to slow corrosion. You just put a light coating on the lamp's base.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 12-22-22, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
From Leviton... Perfect for temporary lighting applications-not waterproof

Those are weather resistant sockets but they are designed to use bulb down.
Anything you do between the bulb and the socket would be experimental.

It would probably be most effective to use a closed top chimney.

marksr, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-22-22, 12:44 PM
E
@pjmax closed top chimney.?? those bulbs are called chimney style. But what do you mean with 'closed top'?

@thisoldman - thanks. I'll look for that. although the plumber putty I just thought of is something I have. And the bulbs are LED, so not too hot. Although as I type, I envision the putty not holding onto the glass / water will squeak by.

Old 12-22-22, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Can't tell the exact design in the picture.
Many menorahs use an open type chimney that drops over the bulb and socket.

I would not recommend plumbers putty. I would recommend silicone grease.
Silicone grease

Old 12-22-22, 01:15 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
The stuff THIS OLD MAN suggested I believe is the same material they use in auto light bulbs. Prevents corrosion.
So, this is an outside display.
There is really nothing that will weatherproof a light bulb that is standing up. You might consider putting a decorative awning/roof or lean-to, over the display. That would most likely be your best protection.

Old 12-22-22, 03:38 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
When I was a kid hanging outdoor holiday lights, my dad would give me chewing gum, then twist it around the bulb.
Worked long enough for the holiday light display.

Old 12-23-22, 08:09 AM
E
Sorry I wasn't too clear on the bulbs. They are solid glass / closed on top. LED 'filament' in them, but closed on top / solid glass . water can't get into the bulb itself. Just gets in between glass / rubber edge of bulb / socket.

They are something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...7XW14RPN/?th=1

We're not using these exactly. Some chinese knock off, But just as expensive and amazingly sensitive to jostling. And I think sensitive to even the slightest voltage drop. if the contacts have any corrosion or you don't screw it all the way in with power already in - it lights dim for a second then it doesn't light at all.

Yes! something simple like gum - it's only outside for a few weeks a year.

I'll try silicone grease on outside glass / rubber edge and dielectric grease

Old 12-23-22, 08:45 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I would try a thin strip of duct seal around the base of the bulb where it contacts the socket housing. It remains soft and can be removed easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: