re-connecting existing lighting wires and switch

Old 07-08-01, 09:55 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Cool

We need to re-connect wires in pre-existing ceiling light in bedroom.Was disconnected before and we wish to install a light or ceiling fan. Has 4 sets of wires ,3 of which we have traced by elimination...one set is hot, one goes to light switch, one goes to livingroom switch{providing power to outlet}the other is unknown to us.We joined hot set ones going to switch, then did same to one going to Living room switch to find which is which.We still don't know what the other one goes to.We need to know how to re-connect the 4 sets of wires and replace light fixture or ceiling fan.Thank You for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-01, 06:34 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You don't need to know where the last one goes. As long as you know which cable is always hot, and which cable goes to the switch, that's all you need to know.

Connect the black wire from the power supply to all the other black wires except the switch's black wire. Instead, connect the switch's white wire to these blacks. So you'll have three black wires and a white wire under this first wire nut.

Connect the white wire from the power supply to all the other white wires, including the ceiling light's white wire, but not including the white wire from the switch. So you'll have four white wires under this second wire nut.

Connect the light's black wire to the black wire from the switch. So you'll have just two black wires under this third wire nut.

Connect all grounding wires together.

I assumed you didn't have any red wires since you didn't mention any. Post back if you do.

Old 07-09-01, 09:15 AM
G
Visiting Guest
red wire?

What if he did have a red wire? I'm in the same predicament...installed a ceiling fan last night. The lights work, but the fan doesn't. I noticed there was a red wire with a wire nut on it in the outlet box. Is it possible I need to connect this wire to the fan?

(We replaced an existing light fixture with the ceiling fan.)

Thanks,
Ginny

Old 07-09-01, 09:33 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ginny,

If you have further comments, please post in a new thread to avoid getting this thread confused.

Normally, the red wire and black wire in the ceiling are for the fan and light respectively. This works best when you have four wires coming from your fan: usually black, white, either bare or green, and either blue or black with a white stripe.

If your fan has a blue wire or a black wire with a white stripe, connect this to the red wire from your ceiling.

Do you have the extra wire? How many wall switches do you have to control this box? How did you hook it up last night? Post answers in a separate thread.

Old 10-31-01, 05:12 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Sorry to be sooooooo long overdue a reply.Alot happening around here. I do appreciate ,that you were so prompt in your help. We did as you said and all is well! We are now able to use a whole line ,that we had cut off the breaker to, because we were unsure of it. Now we don't have to turn something else off to turn something else on! Thank You very much!