weatherhead

Old 01-25-23, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
weatherhead

There is an old brick church near where I pick up our little girl up from school. No conduit with cable running down the brick to a meter [no box] At the top of the building there are 3 porcelain insulators and below that the power company cable is pig tailed onto the church cable. There is a weather head over that connection but it doesn't appear to be attached to anything. Would it be clamped to the cables? just curious

Old 01-25-23, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
There are two types of weather heads.
Designed for one use only.... keep the water out of the conduit/cable.
One clamps to the top of the conduit and has a goose neck type setup where the cables roll in.
The other style clamps directly on SER cable.
The clamp is only used to hold the weather head to the cable.... not to suspend the cable.
The cable must be well fastened.
There is a single screw above the head but it's only used to hold the head against the wall.

Old 01-26-23, 03:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
thanks Pete!
Yrs ago I painted a lot of houses that didn't have any conduit for the elec service but they also didn't have a weather head. What caught my attention first was the round meter fastened to the brick. My eye then followed the cable up to the weather head.

Old 01-26-23, 08:45 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, post some pics, usually the weather head is attached to the building to support the cable , then the utility supply is attached to the building independently of the weather head.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 01-26-23, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
The weather head isn't designed to hold the weight of the cable.
You would have to almost crush the cable for the weather head to suspend the cable.

Old 01-27-23, 03:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not usually that far up the line and didn't think to take a pic with my phone when I was. There is no rhyme or reason to the pick up line, I leave the house at the same time and usually get in line 4-5 blocks from the school, that church is 3 blocks from the school.

Looking across the street and 20' up it's hard to tell exactly how the weather head is supported but it doesn't look to have any support. It almost appears like it's just floating above the cable so I assume it's supported by those 3 incoming cables. Those cables are supported by 3 porcelain insulators where it first comes from the pole.

Old 01-27-23, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
It is not uncommon to see the weather head and the cables just floating off the building.... especially if it had been painted or resided. Typically the electrician will get the call to remount the head and cable after the carpenters leave.

Old 01-28-23, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This is a brick church. Looking up from across the street it's a little hard to tell but if it's connected to the building it's not very obvious.

Not sure when the back addition to the church was built. It's unpainted brick, the front half is older brick that's been painted. Since there is no conduit on the addition I assume it's probably 50+ yrs old. The electrical service is on the back addition mounted to the brick.

Old 02-20-23, 01:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Got to park close to the church and at a better angle. There is a bar that comes out of the brick and attached to the weather head. I assume there is a plate or something on the other end of that bar securing it to the bldg behind the brick.

Another thing I noticed was the soffit vents. 1"-1.5" round holes every 4'. Haven't seen that in a long while.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: