Ceiling fan

Old 01-28-23, 01:51 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan

Hi all! Looking at installing a ceiling fan into our bedroom. The current bedroom light is on one switch. I guess I'm looking for advice on making this as easy on myself as possible. I'm somewhat knowledgeable with doing electrical work. I'd like to have the fan/light on two different switches if possible. Does this mean running wire from the fan to the switch box? I could probably make my way into the attic to do this work if it would make it easier on myself.

Any other advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 01-28-23, 02:50 PM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Are you adding an electrical box in the ceiling for the fan? Does the power and neutral for the current light enter the electrical box for the light or the switch ?

Old 01-28-23, 03:14 PM
E
I am unsure about using the current box. It's only a 44" fan and the home was just built 4 years ago, but if I need to replace the current box for the light, I will. As far as which wires run to the current box, i haven't even taken off the existing light yet.

Old 01-28-23, 05:43 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
It is possible they made accommodations for a fan and light. You need to open the switch box and see if they ran wires for a fan and light.

Old 01-28-23, 06:22 PM
E

Last edited by PJmax; 01-29-23 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added expanded pic
Old 01-29-23, 01:17 AM
A
Received 162 Upvotes on 135 Posts
You say "fan/light". Many fans come with a light.
So are you planning on keeping the existing fixture (light) but adding a fan/light somewhere else on the ceiling?
I assume you are planning on replacing the existing light fixture with a fan/light unit and want to have two separate switches to operate the light and the fan independently on the fan unit.

Thanks for the picture of the switch but seeing the wires would help us help you..
It seems there are neutral wires back in the box. Anyway you can pulll those wires out so we have a much better idea of what we are dealing with here. Becareful and make sure the power is off at the breaker, not just move the switch to off. Turn the light on, flip the breaker that controls this light and when it is off you know you have turned the proper breaker off. Then you can pull the wires out gently so we can see what you have.

Also, does this switch control anything else in the room such as a receptacle?

Old 01-29-23, 01:58 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Not sure why you would want two switches when most modern fans come with a remote control.

Even with two switches you still need to pull a chain for speed control or install a speed control instead of one of the switches.

Old 01-29-23, 05:20 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I can't see all the wires in the back of the box. Is there a red wire back there somewhere? Does it come from the same cable as one of the black wires on the switch?

Old 01-29-23, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I see three white wires and only two black wires.
That would mean 3) two wire w/gr cables.
Probably a two wire hot in, two wire hot out and a two wire to the fan.

You're not going to be able to install two switches there.
However, there ceiling fans that use an electronic wall switch that can control the light and fan separately over the power wiring. Some of these models eliminate the wireless remote.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: