Questions regarding installing EV charger

Old 01-31-23, 10:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Questions regarding installing EV charger

I am looking to DIY part of the installation of an EV charger on my house. For the actual panel hookup I plan to hire an electrician, but to save some money, I am looking to run the conduit and wire since it will be quite long. I need to go from my panel which is in the back corner of my garage to the opposite corner at front (45 ft when going down one wall and then along the front), down the wall, then through the bottom concrete plate and along along the front of the house to where I want the charger (~40'). Total run length will be roughly 100'. The charger is 48amp, 11.5kW.

My plan is to use:
- 6/3 romex wire
- EMT conduit

Questions:
- is 6/3 the right gauge to use over the 100' length?
- any issues using EMT in the garage and then outside?
- any other things I should be aware of?

Top Answer

01-31-23, 02:25 PM
joed
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Line up your electrician before you start. Many of them will not take over a partially done job by a homeowner.

Old 01-31-23, 11:17 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
The experts will weigh in I'm sure, but I believe the NEC considers an EV charger to be a continuous load, which means the circuit needs to be rated for 125% of the load, which means your feeders need to be rated for 60 amps. This means you should really use AWG4 wire. Since you plan to run conduit, skip the romex and use individual conductors. You can't run romex in a wet location (outside) anyway, even if it's in conduit. I believe you also need a disconnect within sight of the charger. And save yourself some hassle and use PVC conduit.

Old 01-31-23, 02:25 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Line up your electrician before you start. Many of them will not take over a partially done job by a homeowner.

AFJES, Astuff, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 01-31-23, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
#6 copper NM cable (Romex) is rated 55 amps under the 60 degree column. The NEC allows it to go up to the next higher standard breaker which is 60 amps. Therefore, #6 copper Romex is allowed to be protected by a 60 amp breaker.

That said, I agree that if you are running conduit you should use THHN wires.

With running EMT outside you are required to use rain-tight fittings.

If you install a receptacle for the EV charger it is required to be GFCI protected.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 01-31-23, 10:29 PM
A
Received 162 Upvotes on 135 Posts

My advice is the same as Joed stated in post #2.

Many electricians, including myself before I retired will not take on a partially worked job.
This is due to "liability" issues. Electrician's insurance is at stake here. They are very hesitant about finishing a job that someone else started because if anything happens down the line it falls back on the electrician's insurance as a claim.

You would be well advised to contact electricians prior to buying any materials or running any wires etc until you get some type of a formal commitment from an electrician willing to work with you that way.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: