how to install exterior light fixtures on brick

Old 07-13-01, 12:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I want my husband to install two exterior light fixtures on either side of a brick arch. The exterior light above the front door we are no longer going to use. The switch for it is just on the inside of the door as soon as you walk in. Can he use the existing switch from the old exterior light to wire the two new exterior fixtures? Also what is the easiest way to wire fixtures through brick?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-01, 01:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Set a masonary box in the brick for the fixture box with the front of the box flush with the face of the brick.Use type NM (Romex) cable for the wiring method and use PVC to sleeve the cable where it may be exposed to cement behind the box.It may be easier to run one cable to each box instead of jumping between boxes.The bare ground wire in the cable must ground the box-there's a tap in the back of the box for a grounding screw which is a stock item.You can use the existing fixture box as a junction box to connect the new cables to the existing cable from the switch if the connections are accessible after you finish.This means a blank plate on the box which is not concealed behind wood or sheetrock. Be sure to use brass machine screws for fastening any fixture bars of fitting to the outlet box-steel screws will rust.Should mention PVC (1/2" trade size) is a ridgid plastic electrical conduit-connectors, couplings,elbows etc. are stock items.Good Luck.

Old 07-17-01, 01:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I believe NEC code requires a threshold light for a man door on a structure. If the new exterior lights do not light the door threshold this installation will violate code. My inspector wanted a fixture location such that light fell directly on the door sill. If you are not having this inspected it might be fine for you now, but it might become a problem when you try to sell the house and it does not pass inspection.

The correct way would be to wire the new fixtures to a seperate switch or to the existing fixture.

You might look at replacing the single switch with a duplex switch. That way you keep the required door light, have a seperate switch for the front lights, and don't have to expand the existing junction box, though you might hit box wire fill limits ;-(.

Old 03-01-10, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So is their a space enough between the bricks to run the conduit?

Old 03-01-10, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i think this post is 9 years old bud...