4 receptacles out. Breakers are good

Old 12-06-23, 12:23 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
4 receptacles out. Breakers are good

Hello

Have about 5 or 6 receptacles with no power. The breakers are feeding power to the wires. No obvious burns or loose wires in the rear of 3 of the receptacles. I guess the first thing is to check all 6 receptacles for loose wires at the rear of the receptacles.
There is one GFI but the power leads coming in do not have power there either. And its is downstream of the other receptacles. As best as I can see without going in attic
I am in Boynton beach and this has been fine for many years. Should I crawl in attic?
is there a better way to narrow down the problem?

Old 12-06-23, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
You need to determine everything on that circuit.
You need to determine if everything on that circuit is out or partially working.
I like to check from black to ground at each location to see if hot or neutral is missing.

The path goes from the panel thru every location. Typically that path follows a logical path.
So you would start with the last working device or first dead device.

In the diagram.... the problem is at 4 or 5.

TimsBoynton voted this post useful.
Old 12-07-23, 03:53 AM
A
Received 159 Upvotes on 132 Posts
Also I would highly recommend that you look for a tripped GFCI somewhere in your home. GFCIs should really be tested somewhat on a monthly basis by pushing the test button and then the reset button but hardly anyone does, This is your chance to test ALL GFCI receptacles in your home and possibly even find the one that is affecting this circuit (which could be in another room, the kitchen, bathroom, the other side of the house, out in the garage, outside behind a bush etc).

TimsBoynton voted this post useful.
Old 12-07-23, 05:19 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hello

Thanks.
I did find a issue in a upstraem receptale. There may have been a loose wire in the rear of it. But they did seem tight. Not sure why but all started working after moving this receptacle. Is was totally in a different room but still on same circuit.
Thanks again. Going from black to ground it a good plan.

Old 12-07-23, 07:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
Specifically where were the wires connected to the receptacle? The back stab (push in) connections on the back of receptacles have a reputation for being less than 100% reliable. Switching the wires to the screw lugs on the side is a more reliable connection.

AFJES voted this post useful.
Old 12-09-23, 03:01 AM
A
Received 159 Upvotes on 132 Posts
Pay special attention to PilotDane post #5

I would double check for any other loose connections. If the receptacles are backstabbed move the wires to the screws. You will only have a greater chance of problems in the future leaving the wires backstabbed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: