Three Way Wiring?

Old 02-18-24, 10:50 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Three Way Wiring?

I have two switches to my porch, a wall light switch and a ceiling fan switch. When I started everything was working but the wall light switch was intermittent and would sometimes have to be wiggled to turn on.

I opened the switchbox and remembered that the wall light switch was a three way. I pulled out the switches and the wall light switch fell apart.

I replaced the wall light switch with a 3-way, ganged up all three black wires on the "third screw" and it did not work.

My questions:

Was this wired correctly to begin with?
Did I replace the wires correctly in the new 3-way switch shown below?

Thanks Much!!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Pork Switch existing.pdf (967.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf
Pork Switch existing (1).pdf (967.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-18-24, 11:50 AM
C
Old 02-18-24, 01:32 PM
M
where is the other switch for this 3 way circuit? I'm no pro but it sounds like you don't actually have a 3 way circuit so I wonder if you flipped the wires on the 3 way switch you used it might work because you have it wired in such a way it is expecting something back from a traveler from the other 3 way switch that doesn't exist? also, while at it why not take the hot in and use a wire nut and give yourself 2 pigtails to wire each switch instead of putting so many wires on one terminal screw. I do see the red wire so there were plans of either 3 way or maybe planned on a light kit on the fan and independent control of the fan and light?

is there in fact another 3 way switch controlling this wall light on the porch?

Old 02-18-24, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
No, you did not wire it correctly. The red and black with brown tape are your travelers and go on the brass screws (one each)

The black that is looped and also goes to the other switch and the single black are your hots. I recommend connecting those two wires with a wire nut and then connecting two pigtails from the two black wires to the switches (one each) Connect that wire to the odd screw on the three way. (common)

cdrat voted this post useful.
Old 02-18-24, 04:57 PM
C
Thank you so Much!!! I will update you after I find extra wire for that "pigtail.

Old 02-19-24, 10:08 AM
C
Works Great!!! I love this website!! You explanation was very clear and made this easy to do. Thanks again!!

Old 02-19-24, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
Glad you got it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: