Dryer cord

Old 02-19-24, 04:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dryer cord

Hi all,

Installing a dryer myself for the first time. I didn't know what I had at home, so I bought a 4 ft 3 pronged cord, 6 ft 3 pronged cord, 4 ft 4 pronged cord, and 6 ft 4 pronged cord, figuring I'd return what I don't use. Turns out I have a 3 pronged outlet, and opened the 4' cord since the dryer is right by the outlet. For some reason I decided to try plugging in the cord, before I had hooked up the 3 wires on the other end to the back panel of the dryer. The 3 wire ends were all touching each other, and when I plugged in the cord, there were sparks and you can see in the pic that both ends of the cord got blackened. Well I screwed up, I thought, but just figured I'd use the 6' cord and still get this done today. Attached the 3 wires to the back panel of the dryer, plugged it in, no sparks this time but the dryer wouldn't turn on. Unplugged it, went to the breaker box and found the tripped circuit. Flipped it to off, back to on (I heard it click), tried the dryer again, still no luck. Back to the breaker box and noticed the red flag for off (see pic) is red even after flipping it back to the on position. The breaker does wiggle a little when flipping off and on, not sure if that matters. Took the cover off the outlet (see pic) and used my multimeter to test for voltage, am getting 0. I tested the multimeter on a normal outlet first and got 120 V, to make sure it's working since it's been a few years since I used it.

Is it possible I damaged the outlet to the point I'll have to run new wire between the breaker box and the outlet? I'm hoping it's a smaller problem, such as replacing the breaker. I think I could handle that, I know where the electric "main" (to use a water analogy) is outside so assuming turning that off isn't difficult, I could shut off power to the whole house and replace the breaker. Troubleshooting what just happened is difficult from running online searches, but "how to replace a circuit breaker" on YouTube gives a million videos I could reference.

Old 02-19-24, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
I'd replace the receptacle and cord but that is not your current problem.
Go to the breaker box.... PUSH the breaker handle firmly to OFF and then turn back on.
You need to measure 240v across the hot legs.

Also... be sure you have the bonding wire inside the dryer junction box connected to the center terminal. If that is confusing... post a pic of the wiring junction box.

Old 02-19-24, 05:46 PM
P
Received 274 Upvotes on 231 Posts
Also when replacing the outlet the romex needs a nm clamp to secure the cable to the outlet box.

Old 02-20-24, 09:02 AM
R
Thank you both for replying right away, I knew I should've checked before going to bed. Thought once I hit Subscribe it'd e-mail me if I got any replies. I'm sure I don't have my settings right.

Anyway, I tried pushing the breaker all the way to off, multiple times, very firmly, and never heard it click. Not sure if that matters. Turned it back on, and noticed that despite it clicking, it would spring back slightly towards the off position (let's call it a quarter of the way) and the red flag still shows up. I didn't notice the springing back slightly yesterday; it definitely doesn't stay in the on position, once I looked closely and compared to all the other breakers. I measured voltage again at the receptacle just for kicks, but of course nothing. What do you suggest I try next?

Attaching a pic of the back of the dryer, which I think is what you mean by "dryer junction box." And thanks for the tip about a nm clamp for the romex. I bought this house 2 years ago, it was originally built between 1870 and 1893 depending on what document I look at, and a number of outlets aren't working. This will prob spring me to finally open up & repair the various outlets, label the breaker box, etc.

Old 02-21-24, 03:40 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Where the cord enters the dryer you need a strain relief, it should have come with the dryer cord inside the package. If you cannot get the circuit breaker to reset, never fear! That is a Square D QO series circuit breaker that has a lifetime warranty. Take it to any Square D distributor for an over the counter exchange for a new breaker.

Old 02-21-24, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
They make a dedicated cord retainer for electric dryers.
You can get them at home improvement stores.
Dryer clamp

Old 02-21-24, 07:54 PM
R
I believe the dryer cord came with the clamp thing, I'll get it on there. I had to go to Menards for some other stuff today so I asked someone in electrical there if they thought replacing the circuit breaker would do the trick. The fellow said yes so I bought a new one, didn't know about a lifetime warranty. Think the warranty covers operator error like I made, too? Haha I goofed and I don't mind paying for it.

Old 02-21-24, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Square D is the real deal. The circuit breaker is designed to trip from a short.
It tripped and won't reset... it's defective.

It failed in proper usage.
Square D warranty - pdf

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 02-23-24, 09:32 AM
R
I replaced the circuit breaker and the dryer is now running. Thanks everyone!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: