An unusual 2 gang electrical box

Old 02-23-24, 06:46 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
An unusual 2 gang electrical box

I describe an outlet box I found in a home just purchased and had an idea how the previous owner used it. Visualize a two gang surface mounted metal box with two double 120v 15 amp receptacles. The receptacles are wired such that the live terminals are wired in common, as are the neutral terminals, as are the ground terminals. No feed wire exists and the outlets have no power. A live 120v 15amp wall outlet is within 5 ft. of the of the 2 gang box. If an extension cord from the live outlet is plugged into one of the receptacles of the 2 gang box the owner may have been trying to power three other low power devices. My question is,,, have have any natural or man made laws been violated?

Old 02-23-24, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
It wouldn't be an extension cord, it would be a "suicide cord", one with 2 males ends. The code it would violate is 406.7(b).

Old 02-24-24, 02:26 AM
A
Received 167 Upvotes on 138 Posts
An office I worked on once was kind of wired this way. They had double duplex receptacles in each of the offices which were non-energized. If there was a power outage those double duplex were energized by a secondary system (probably UPS) and the workers computers printers desk lamp etc were plugged into them in each office.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: