Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Do plug in relays have same size spade pins as regular relays?

Old 02-24-24, 06:05 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I just got a plug in 8 pin DPDT power relay and noticed that the spade terminals on it are only 1/8 inch wide. I was expecting them to be 1/4 inch, which I think is the 'standard' size for spade terms.

Is 1/8 inch the standard width for spade terms on a plug in relay ?

Thanks

Old 02-25-24, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
There are various types of plug in relays. There are different standard configurations but thee is no "one" standard.

Old 02-25-24, 10:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,975 Upvotes on 3,568 Posts
Good to see you in another thread.

You got a relay that plugs into a base.
You needed the type with the direct wire connections.

Old 02-26-24, 11:52 AM
V
relay

Hello, PJmax ! Good to find you here ! I posted some questions over in the old hvac thread but I guess no one saw them, lol.

Yes, when I found out the direct replacement part for my relay was $84,
I decided to use a 'general purpose' relay if possible. These 'ice cube'
plug in relays are nice and small, so they would fit into the control box easily.
None of the ads for them tell you what size the spades are, though. A few people told me they are almost always 1/4 inch, but they seem to be almost always 3/16 inch.

I have a Grainger store a few miles away. I called them up and asked about using a general purpose 24 vac DPDT or DPST relay in an air handler and they found something for me, a small flange mount relay that they 'know' has the 1/4 inch spade terminals, even though their documentation tells them nothing about the spade size. I'm going over tomorrow to verify that they are 1/4 inch, and if so, buy it. $19.14. Not bad.

SCHNEIDER Flange Mount Relay: Surface (Side Flange) Mounted, 10 A Current Rating, 24V AC, DPDT

Item
35KR53
Mfr. Model
788XBXRC1-24A

https://www.grainger.com/product/SCH...Not+Applicable

item number 35KR53.

What do you think?

Old 02-26-24, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Electrically it will work. I didn't see any mention of 1/4" tabs.

Supco 90-340 (search)
Another choice......... Schneider

Old 02-27-24, 02:05 PM
V
I went to pick up the relay they said was 1/4 inch spade, and it was only 3/16 inch. Groan.

I looked at the 90-340 relays online and they look too big to fit into the control box.

I have my eye on a Schneider din rail surface mount 92S7A22D-24A that I think I can squeeze into the control box. I am going to mock up a paper version of it to see if it fits.

It's a DPST-NO which is exactly what I need, I think. Someone in a previous thread (heat pumps) said my wiring diagram shows a DPST-NO relay, although I haven't seen those letters on the wiring diagram. He must have deduced it by the symbols.

The specs for this relay at the Schneider website actually say 1/4 inch for the spade terminal width! I have my hopes up.

The case is opaque for this relay, so I can't see the condition of the contacts through time, but you can't have everything. And only $19. Not bad.

It should work electrically, yes ?

https://www.se.com/us/en/product/92S...a-240v-ac-2no/

Old 02-27-24, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
If you are going with that type relay...., use the one I left the link for.

Without chugging back thru your short story thread.....I believe you must stay with DPDT type relay,
Typically in an electric heat application...., one N.O. switch and one N.C. switch are needed.

Old 03-16-24, 08:35 AM
V
update

Just updating to say I had to resort to buying the Original Equipment part. Luckily they still exist, in large quantities! I got one for $29 online.

The less expensive generic relays either had the wrong terminal size, or were too big to fit into the control box.

I have the new OE relay (DPDT) installed, and the air handler blower motor is working again.

Thanks for all the help I got here, by the way.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 03-16-24, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Took a while but you got there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: