increasing electric capactiy

Old 02-26-24, 02:05 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
increasing electric capactiy

I have my fridge, microwave, and gas oven on the same wall (different outlets but same wall). Also the clothes washer and dryer are on the other side of the wall. The circuit breaker trips when I run the microwave, washer, and dryer at the same time, and fridge running constantly. Would I need to run additional electric wires to make these work at the same time? I ask because I was thinking about going all electric when my appliances need to be replaced, and the water heater also runs along the same wall. How much can I expect that to cost living in Southern California?

Old 02-26-24, 03:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
It sounds like you have a lot of big appliances on one circuit. You would need additional circuits to separate them so one doesn't trip when you run something else.

In my house everything on your list is on a separate breaker. But, none have ever tripped. It's quite nice to not worry about tripping breakers. We just run machines whenever we want.

Any price we offer for the electrical work would be a very wild guess.

Old 02-26-24, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
Labor and material rates vary widely over the US. The best thing to do is have some contractors come out and give you some pricing.

The Microwave and Washer/dryer should not be on the same circuit as you likely know. They are overloading the circuit. A new circuit would need to be run from the electrical panel to the appliances. Depending on how it is currently wired you may need more than one.

Old 02-26-24, 04:01 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear in my question. I understand I need another circuit. Does that mean I can have someone take the current wiring and split into another circuit? Or does the new circuit need new electrical wiring?

Old 02-26-24, 05:01 PM
T
Received 206 Upvotes on 180 Posts
New breaker and wiring. No more effort to run 2 sets of wires to the same area, so I would run at least 2 new circuits. You need to find out what electrical code you are under and if there are any local amendments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: