Help! I知 at a loss of how to fix this mess!

Old 02-28-24, 06:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! I知 at a loss of how to fix this mess!

I知 replacing all of the outlets and switches because they are very dirty from the previous owner. I work pretty slowly and one room at a time. Today I attempted my bedroom. On the wall there is one switch for the light and one for the fan. I replaced them both, turned the electricity back on and checked to make sure everything was functioning correctly and it was. Then I went to do the outlets. I literally take one wire off, put it on the new switch and then take the next wire off and so on. The only thing in the entire room that I changed is that there was one outlet where one plug was operated by the light switch. I capped that wire and just used the black and white wires. When I turned the electricity back on, all of the outlets work but I no longer have control of my light with the switch. It is just always on. I bought an outlet tester and they all test good. Please help!
I知 in the US, house was built in 2008.

Old 02-28-24, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Take the receptacle apart that operates with the switch and look at the side of it. You need to remove the tab from the side terminals so that the top and bottom receptacles are no longer interconnected.

Old 02-28-24, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
The outlet that was controlled by the switch had one half that was controlled by the switch correct?

If that is the case you need to break the little tab metal between the two brass screws. This will separate the hot from the switch leg. Then you need to reconnect that wire you capped off.

Old 02-29-24, 12:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I broke the tab off and reconnected the yellow wire. Nothing has changed. The light is still on all the time and both sides of the outlet are regardless of whether or not the light switch is engaged.

Old 02-29-24, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
Can you please post some pictures of the outlet wiring in question and the switch wires. Also, are there any other outlets that were switched or was it only the one?

Old 02-29-24, 05:54 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, where was the wire you capped connected?, how many conductors do you have on the receptacle?
Geo🇺🇸

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: