How can I bury Comcast's electrical cables?

Old 03-01-24, 01:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can I bury Comcast's electrical cables?

Comcast has had their green pedestal in my front yard with a broken cover for years. I need to either relocate this box or bury it.
So I removed the pedestal and now just have two thick cables going into a the gray part with two coax cables coming out (my house and neighbors).
It also has some older black coax cables and capped off thick black cable. I'm thinking about burying it under a water meter box or something. The cables bend some what so I could dig out behind it more and lay it down. I need to be able to drive over it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use for a cover or ways to keep water out?

Top Answer

03-04-24, 12:48 PM
pattenp
Received 274 Upvotes on 231 Posts
I believe dseg42 has probably heard enough of what he doesn't want to hear so we're hearing crickets.

Old 03-01-24, 02:20 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
I'd call Comcast & have them come out & do something with it. I don't think I'd be messing around with their equipment.

They replaced some cables once at my house & left them laying across the yard. I called them & they sent someone out with in a day or so & buried them. Not the same thing as you have but I'm sure if you told them, it was an issue (lawn mower etc) they'd do something.

Just my 2 cents.....

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 03-01-24, 02:32 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
You cannot bury it underground and do not touch it on your own. You can be in a big trouble if something happens to it. Although it is in your yard, it is property of Comcast.
All you can do is call them and ask to fix. They might never fix it or have lowest priority, but there isn't much you can do.

Old 03-01-24, 02:59 PM
P
You're asking for trouble messing around with Comcast equipment. That pedestal is legally there within an easement and you run the risk being charged with destruction of their equipment.

Old 03-01-24, 07:46 PM
A
Received 166 Upvotes on 138 Posts
I realize you think you have the right to tamper with their equipment but legally it is theirs and is legally where it is. I highly recommend that you take the suggestions of others here and myself when we say don't mess with it. Just keep on them to deal with it. It may take some time and patience but will eliminate the liability on your part of you messing with it.

Old 03-02-24, 05:26 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
dseg42 Looks like you're going to be in trouble for messing with Comcast equipment LoL!

Old 03-03-24, 02:53 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I would keep bugging them and make it sound like it is much worst than it is, they are a PIA to deal with.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 03-04-24, 10:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Just another vote to put the broken pedestal on the ground and call them to get it replaced. When you call, tell them you're worried about "kids falling in the hole and maybe getting electrocuted". Obviously they won't be shocked... but the hole is still a liability concern for them, it may get someone out faster.

Let them put a new non-broken pedestal in.

As others have said, if you bury it and it becomes a problem down the road, you could be billed or sued for the cost to repair/replace.

Old 03-04-24, 12:48 PM
P
I believe dseg42 has probably heard enough of what he doesn't want to hear so we're hearing crickets.

AFJES, CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 03-04-24, 01:22 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
pattenp Yep just another one post wonder!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: