20 amp strip/surge protector

Old 04-14-24, 05:18 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
20 amp strip/surge protector

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best 20 amp power strip or surge protector to purchase? Have a small heating unit that's 20 and needs this. I've read that the plug and the outlets in the strip need to all be up to spec. We have already installed a wall socket that's 20 amps.

Thanks

Top Answer

04-15-24, 12:15 AM
AFJES
Received 169 Upvotes on 139 Posts
One should never use an extension cord or power strip for a space heater.
Even when a space heater is plugged directly into a receptacle there should be a snug fit of the plug into the receptacle. This will lessen the chances of heat build up from a loose connection as if the plug was loose and not making solid connection into the receptacle.
A space heater should never be left alone to heat a room. The plug of the heater should be held by your hand every 20 minutes or so while it is plugged in the check to see if the plug is getting abnormally warm to hot.
Space heaters are well known for over heating the plug/receptacle causing them to melt together or even burn up. I have lost count of how many burned up receptacles I have replaced over the years due to space heaters. Placing a space heater on a surge protector or extension cord just increases the chance of problems.

Old 04-14-24, 05:31 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 38 Upvotes on 32 Posts
Sounds fishy...what is the product? Is it UL listed? 120V or 240V? Did it come with a cord preinstalled? What is the purpose of putting it on a power strip?

Old 04-14-24, 05:50 PM
M
Yes, it has a cord attached but it's pretty short.

https://askjan.org/products/Lasko-75...te-Control.cfm

Old 04-14-24, 06:23 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 273 Upvotes on 215 Posts
I'm the novice here but just curious...... the wiring for a 20 amp outlet will need to be 12 ga wire. Typically, house wiring is usually 14 ga. Do you know if its like 12/2 romex wired to the outlet from the breaker, with a 20 amp breaker?
I just wanted to make sure you know.

If I'm all wrong, I welcome any corrections from the pros here.

Old 04-14-24, 06:25 PM
L
Received 38 Upvotes on 32 Posts
This is not a 20A unit, it's a 120V 15A corded unit. Like the instructions say, it should be plugged in directly. A 20A receptacle does absolutely nothing for you (it's always good to replace old worn out receptacles though).

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 04-15-24, 12:15 AM
A
One should never use an extension cord or power strip for a space heater.
Even when a space heater is plugged directly into a receptacle there should be a snug fit of the plug into the receptacle. This will lessen the chances of heat build up from a loose connection as if the plug was loose and not making solid connection into the receptacle.
A space heater should never be left alone to heat a room. The plug of the heater should be held by your hand every 20 minutes or so while it is plugged in the check to see if the plug is getting abnormally warm to hot.
Space heaters are well known for over heating the plug/receptacle causing them to melt together or even burn up. I have lost count of how many burned up receptacles I have replaced over the years due to space heaters. Placing a space heater on a surge protector or extension cord just increases the chance of problems.

CasualJoe, CircuitBreaker, sdodder voted this post useful.
Old 04-16-24, 04:39 AM
A
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Incidentally a device including a power strip intended for 20 amps will have a 20 amp plug requiring a 20 amp receptacle. (The 20 amp plug/receptacle has the neutral prong pointed at the hot prong instead of paralle to the hot prong hence the T shaped neutral prong hole in a combination 15/20 amp receptacle.)

Or, in other words, if the plug is not a 20 amp plug then the device cannot be rated 20 amp by Underwriters labs or other safety organization and must not by itself draw more than 15 amps..

Actual 20 amp space heaters are rare because relatively few persons have 20 amp receptacles located throughout the house where the heater would be used and therefore 20 amp heaters are hard to sell in quantities that make their manufacture worthwhile.

Once i had a receptacle melt while using a space heater. Upon closer examination the heater had a defect in the power plug. The cord wires were screwed to the backs of the plug prongs. For this heater which I got brand new there was a manufacturing defect that the screws were loose. It so happened that, as heat traveled thorugh the metal to metal contact in the receptacle, the plastic parts of the receptacle melted first.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-16-24 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-17-24, 01:55 AM
A
See the illustration below.
Notice on the 5-20 that the prong marked "W" is horizontal rather than vertical. This is a true configuration of a 20 amp rated device. It is rare that a home owner would have a 20amp rated device with the "W" (Neutral) prong horizontal and if by chance one did have a 20amp rated device the "T" slot would accommodate the horizontal prong. This is called "interchangeability". As mentioned it would be rare to see such a device in a home - sometimes UPS (uninterrupted power supplies) that you would use to connect to your computer so if the power fails the computer does not just shut down. Larger UPS are rated 20amps so the prong would be horizontal to the hot prong (perpendicular).

Old 04-19-24, 07:57 PM
M
Thank you for all the replies.

I gotta look into this further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: