Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding an additional light to a 4 way circuit that already has a couple of 3Ways

Adding an additional light to a 4 way circuit that already has a couple of 3Ways

Old 04-21-24, 05:28 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Currently i have this circuit
Power (2 wire) >> 3 way switch (#1) >> 4 way switch (#2) >> 3 way switch (#3) >> light1 (2 wire)

so i have two 3 way switches and one 4 way switch with a light on the last 3 way

I need to add an additional light to the first 3 way switch box(the one that has the power source coming in it)

can someone give me the wiring diagram for this please or share some tips

i cant seem to find any on the net

Old 04-21-24, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
You cannot wire a light off the first switch and the last switch. The last switch is the switch leg so that is where you have to connect the light. The other, better, option is to just run a 2 wire cable from the existing light to the new light.

AFJES voted this post useful.
Old 04-22-24, 03:44 AM
B
Received 307 Upvotes on 272 Posts
How do you want to control the additional light? In your diagram. the additional light will always be powered unless the power line coming into the first 3 way switch is via a on/off switch not shown.

Old 04-22-24, 05:36 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
You can't add an addition light from the first 3 way and have it controlled by the 3ways.
You can add a the light and have it controlled by its own switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: