Kitchen light puzzler

Old 07-16-01, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a two bulb flouresent fixture as the main light of my kitchen. This fixture is approx. 3 years old (replaced an older 4 bulb flouresent with this one) and has been functioning perfectly for the past three years. Now the light will not come on. I have replaced the bulbs, ballast, and finally in desperation, a completely new fixture. The real puzzle part is, I hooked an incandesent (60 watt) test light up to the existing wiring....flipped the switch on and it works. This circuit is GFCI protected and I have tested it (functions perfectly). I have one other light on the same circuit (one bulb flouresent) that works just fine. This is a three wire system with a ground installed although I have learned that the original circuit was for 240 volts and was "split" into two circuits by an electrican. This circuit has worked fine for almost 30 years. Any clues?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-01, 06:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the new fixture grounded? If not, that could be the problem. It would be good if you had a multimeter with which to actually read the voltage.

Old 07-16-01, 07:24 PM
Visiting Guest
yes, the fixture is grounded. I have tried it both with and without the ground attached with no effect (I reattached the ground after testing). The only thing I can possibly even think of is maybe the line voltage is down....but then again, the incandesent bulb is burning bright

Old 07-16-01, 07:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
See my second reply to donna viner.