Wiring a three wire motion sensor.

Old 05-15-24, 10:00 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a three wire motion sensor.

Hi,

I saw a previous thread and wasnít able to answer my question.

Hi all - I have a scenario where I have a three wire motion sensor on my garage that is connected back to a light switch that controls 6 of my lights.

this sensor has 3 wires coming out of it - black, white, red...

I have power coming from my house (crawl space) to the sensor.

there are three wires from the sensor

there is also a solo black wire coming from the same conduit from the brick.

i recently installed new sconces 3 of 6 yesterday and they worked fine. Today I installed the remainder however I removed the light sensor and did not know it was connected back to the 6 lights. I recall the owner mentioning to me that these lights were tied to a sensor.

i cannot figure out how to reattach the wiring as I tried to connect the solo black wire to the white and black power but it did not fix it. Any help is welcomed.

Old 05-16-24, 01:53 AM
A
Received 171 Upvotes on 141 Posts
First off I assume you mean this is a switch? A motion switch?
Not a dusk to dawn sensor.
You don't show a picture of the sensor just the box.
If this is a switch then you are referring to the fact that it is a 3 way switch more than likely - correct. Meaning you can turn the same light/s on from more than one switch location.

I see coming out of the box one sheath (romex) with a black and white (let's put off for now the grounds). I also see an individual black wire in the box and in the attic. This is first of all against code; must be in either conduit or in sheathing (simple terms) or within the same sheathing as the other wires are in.

When wiring a 3 way switch (if this is what it is). One 3 way is connected to incoming power and one going to the load the light.
If this is the box that is receiving power from the breaker panel and you know this for sure then the incoming "hot" wire which is usally the black wire would go to the "common" screw terminal on this switch. The other two would not matter as they are the travelers. On the other 3 ways switch the black leading up to the light to power the light would be connected to the "common" screw on that switch.

A 3 way switch will always have designation of the "common" screw on it either by an odd colored screw, a marking on the front or back of the switch by the "common" terminal/screw. You can google 3 way switch setups and keep in mind how to look for the "common" screw terminal/wire on the switch. Do NOT confuse "common" terminal on the switch with the "neutral" on the circuit. Some DIYers refer to the neutral as the common in home electrical.

According to the box and wires within it; seems that originally it was set up as a single location light switch using a single pole switch. Then the circuit was converted to a 3 way switching circuit but once again against code by just adding an individual wire.

Old 05-16-24, 07:32 AM
W
Itís a sensor.

it looks like this.

Old 05-16-24, 07:38 AM
W

Another photo

Old 05-16-24, 09:02 AM