Running temp power line to wellhouse

Old 05-17-24, 09:05 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running temp power line to wellhouse

I have a barn that I'm going to rebuild that currently has it's own dedicated power line coming to the barn from the road (a different line serves our house ~200 feet across the property). The only actual power I'll need that's currently serving that barn right now is my well pump that's next to the barn and feeds off of that power coming into the barn. If I'm going to disconnect power to the barn to rebuild it, I'm going to lose water to my house once I lose power to my well pump.

Question - My thought is to just run 250 feet of 12/3 UF-B wire from my house breaker box over the driveway and through the woods, etc. and then hook that 240V line directly to my well pump (pump requires a 20 amp 220 line). It's only going to be a temp setup given it will only take 6 weeks to 2 months to rebuild the barn, then I'll have the power company hook back up a meter and line to the new barn, and I'll hook the well pump into that new electrical panel in the new barn. Any thoughts on running UF-B over and through the property exposed to the elements and UTVs driving over it, etc. It would be cost prohibitive to use outdoor lines or run conduit for 250 feet, but thought I'd check with the group. Thanks.

Top Answer

05-17-24, 10:07 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
I would install a temporary "saw pole" for your barn. This is often done with new buildings under construction. Basically temporary power. That way that power can remain intact and continue to power your well and you have power at hand for working on the barn.

You would install the pole in the ground and attach a breaker panel meter base. You can use all in one or separate boxes. Then the power company can come and disconnect the wire to your barn and connect it to the temporary pole. Check with your local codes. You might need to have your pole and it's electrical box inpsected before the power company will connect to it. I did this when building my house and it was very convenient to have endless power available during construction.

Old 05-17-24, 10:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,271 Upvotes on 2,023 Posts
I would install a temporary "saw pole" for your barn. This is often done with new buildings under construction. Basically temporary power. That way that power can remain intact and continue to power your well and you have power at hand for working on the barn.

You would install the pole in the ground and attach a breaker panel meter base. You can use all in one or separate boxes. Then the power company can come and disconnect the wire to your barn and connect it to the temporary pole. Check with your local codes. You might need to have your pole and it's electrical box inpsected before the power company will connect to it. I did this when building my house and it was very convenient to have endless power available during construction.

2john02458, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-17-24, 11:02 AM
J
Thanks. I was debating that with a friend of mine who was my GC who built my house a few years back. We did exactly that. He's the one who actually recommended just running a line from my house to the barn temporarily. We decided that there weren't a lot of good locations to even put a temp pole, and at the best location that will be out of the way of the demo and debris, and as such I'd probably pay a couple thousand dollars for a temp pole, permitting, power company charge to move, etc. and we would still just end up running a 50' line from that temp pole to the exact same well house to keep power to the well. The one plus is that we'd have power nearby for saws and such as you noted. But he felt a couple thousand dollars for a temp pole wasn't worth it if I could just run a line 250' from the house to the well. Now I'm just debating on how durable UF-B wire is open to the elements laying on across the property.

Old 05-17-24, 04:27 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Temporarily cutting the existing separate service to the barn and running a 250' line line to power the barn pump with the house's power ---

You need an 8 gauge cable for the 20 amps, not 12 gauge, to avoid excessive voltage drop over that distance that could damage the pump.

jshaffer voted this post useful.
Old 05-17-24, 09:19 PM
J
Thanks AllanJ. Really helpful. I was actually leaning towards 10/3 originally due to the distance. I measured again and it looks like I'll have a run closer to 175'. So you still think 8/3 instead of 10/3 for 175' of run on a 20amp pump?

Thanks!

Old 05-18-24, 04:53 AM
A
Ten three will work for 175 feet.

Old 05-18-24, 05:36 AM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Can you disconnect the existing line at the barn and move it to a temp pole and then feed the pump from there?

Old 05-18-24, 06:34 PM
A
The temporary pole was the bulk of the expense that the line strung from the house was intended to avoid.

But if the line from the house is going to get run over or walked over while laying on the ground surface, the idea of doing it that way should be immediately cancelled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: