Remove Hot Tub & Use Location for Outlet

Old 05-26-24, 05:31 PM
G
Gen
Received 18 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Remove Hot Tub & Use Location for Outlet

New property occupants wanted the hot tub removed, then a GFCI outlet put at that location.

We started with a 50A main panel breaker which feeds the outside hot tub sub panel also with a 50A breaker. The removed hot tub/heavy wire was about 15 feet away from the exterior sub panel.

Here’s what was completed. Fish #12 THHN stranded through from the sub panel through conduit to the other end new outlet location. Install exterior box, TR non GFCI outlet, and in-use bubble cover.

At the sub panel…remove 50A 2 pole breaker and install a 20A GFCI breaker going to the new outlet location.The last thing done was to detach one of the 2 incoming hot leg feeds at the sub panel, since only 120v is needed.

Everything works fine and tests out good. Is this set up OK as is? Should anything have been done differently? Thanks!

Old 05-26-24, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
The only things I can think of is the outlet is also required to be a weather-resistant device, and you will need to install a filler plate to fill the other breaker hole at the sub-panel.

You do not need to disconnect the other hot as it only feeds the empty breaker space.

Old 05-27-24, 07:39 AM
G
Gen
Received 18 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thanks! I did have one lingering question about Nalox anti ox stuff, which I did not use. From what I can tell, old school practice is to use it, new school thinking says no, not needed. What do you guys think?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B05Lu7h5Tig&t=300s

You can see from the original post pic, it was previously used even on the aluminum wire going to the aluminum ground bus.

Old 05-27-24, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Anti oxidation paste is normally used for aluminum wire connections. I do not use it when using copper wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: